Master is a secure file manager that allows you to collect important
records (such as bank statements, credit card statements, investment
records, bills, or receipts) or PDFs, in a database and allow for:
Think of it as a replacement for a file cabinet but with easier filing
and retrieval. You can also use it just to keep any files
together...especially useful for PDFs.
- easy addition of new files (importing),
- organization of files in hierarchical folders,
- optional organization of files by date,
- easy access to existing files (browsing, finding,
folders exporting, printing)
- the ability to associate notes with files or folders,
- the ability to associate attributes with files (e.g.,
and produce reports based on those attributes,
- reminders to download or scan in recurring records
financial statements, (including an integrated website password manager
with advanced features to make it easy for you to go to websites to
download the records),
- encrypting the database, and
- automatic or manual backup of the database.
A trend today with financial
utilities is to stop sending paper copies of bills and statements, and
instead make them available online. However, this information is not
available online forever, and is inconvenient to access across all of
your financial institutions because you have to login to multiple web
sites. If you wanted to review all your statements for December of
2005, you would have a lot of work to do. Though the online statements
are often available for downloading, you have problem of organizing the
information. Records Master addresses this problem by providing a
database customized for storing and accessing such records in a single
database file. If you still get some statements only in paper form and
you have a scanner, then you might find it more convenient to scan the
statements and store them in Records Master rather than maintaining a
paper file system. You could also scan and organize receipts,
instructions, etc. Also, MacOS X allows you to print anything to PDF,
which you could then save in Records Master.
Master was motivated by the problem of managing large amounts of bills
and statements, it could be used to organize any files on your computer.
documentation for Records Master is available as
help within the application.
Records Master is a Cocoa (MacOS X only) application. It
on 10.4+, including Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8).
Universal binary. If you
10.3, an earlier
version may work for you.
9.8 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for databases that are stored on mounted disk images.
- Added additional help buttons within the application.
- Improved the help viewer.
9.7 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Improved handling of PDF files that do not have a ".pdf"
- Improved help viewer.
- Fixed bug when a file or folder name is made blank.
- Fixed broken link in help file.
9.6 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in 9.5 that affected only a few users.
- Fixed a memory leak.
9.5 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug logging into some websites with Records
Master browser when running on 10.8.
9.4 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Improved icon for retina displays.
9.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Increased the maximum length of a generated password
9.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to drag and drop between Records
Master and PW Master
(Password Master) (1.4+) files.
9.1 - Feature enhancement:
- Enhanced the handling of badly or inconsistently
formatted password import
9.0 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added ability to display a URL with a specified
external browser on a per-folder basis in the website password manager.
- Fixed bug with entering file or folder names
8.6 - Improved error checking and bug fix:
- Improved checking for permissions errors within
- Files in import folder are no longer deleted when
there is an import error.
- Fixed bug in registration system with names
containing Latin characters.
8.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Improved prompt for importing password data.
- Removed extra ".rmgr" from newly-created database
8.4 -Feature enhancements:
- Improved automatic userID and password entry into an
- Added overwrite warning when creating database.
8.3 - Bug fix:
- Removed redundant prompt about automatically checking
8.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Forces website attributes tab to display when a
reminder is double-clicked.
8.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Improved checking for new versions (via the Sparkle
- Added Check For
item to Records Master menu.
- Fixed bug in saving notes.
8.0 - Feature enhancements:
- Added integrated web browser to allow you to more
quickly import PDF statements.
- Added Browser tab to preferences.
- Moved page load delay preference to Browser tab.
- Improved quality of file printing.
7.95 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Improved quality of printed files.
- Fixed bug in deleting folders.
- Fixed bug in user interface for
specifying website password manager password entry options.
7.94 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to import password data (Name, URL,
Notes) from a text file to create folders that can be used by the
website password manager feature.
7.93 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for Dvorak keyboard layout.
- Added shift modifier as an option for the hotkeys.
- Added ability to specify keys that appear twice on
as 0-9) as a hotkey and have both keys function as the hotkey.
- Warns about new releases only once.
- Added function to retrieve previously-purchased
- Added function to email the author.
7.92 - Feature enhancement:
- Improved display of improperly formatted PDF files.
7.91 Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added vertical scroll bar to reports.
- Fixed obscure bug in report generation.
7.9 - Feature enhancement:
- Added a quarter specification to the date attributes
panel, so you can enter, for example, "2q" to specify the
starting and ending dates of the second quarter of the current year.
- A quarter specification of the format "4q09" can now
be used in imported filenames.
7.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Default starting date of files is now based on
reminder interval of its folder (if any), with a default 1 month.
7.7 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Improved compatibility with 10.6.
- Fixed obscure bug in autofiling by date.
7.6 - Feature Enhancement:
- Added "Last Import" Smart Folder that contains the
last items imported, and a preference to enable this feature.
7.51 - Bug fix:
- Worked around a bug in 10.6 that prevented creating
7.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- The browser icons for Records Master-maintained
folders (Unfiled and Import Logs) are now red.
- Fixed bug in finding from a selected file in a Smart
7.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Smart Folders created from selected files will now
remember the location of the files in the database even if they are
moved or have their name changed.
- Double-clicking a Smart Folder created from selected
files now selects all of the actual files in the Browser.
- Smart Folder names can now be edited with the Rename
- Files in Smart Folders now have proper icons.
- Improved error checking in Find Dialog and Button
7.31 - Fixed bug in creating a smart folder by selecting
files using tags, months, or years (Button Select feature).
7.3 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to find files by content and
highlight matched text in displayed files.
7.2 - Feature and performance enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the Find
Previous command with keyboard shortcut command-shift-G.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut for Go To URL to command-shift-U.
- Added progress indicators in Browser when files or
reports are displayed.
- Added progress indicator in upper LH corner of
database window for Find
- Added a status message above the file display when Find and select matching finds
- GREATLY improved performance when the Find command selects multiple items
on the browser.
- Displayed files no longer scroll to their start when
a database is brought forward.
- Fixed bug encrypting databases that contain filenames
starting with "-".
7.1 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to create a smart folder easily by
selecting files using tags in addition to month and year.
7.01 - Fixed bug in display of certain file types.
7.0 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to associate multiple tags with
files, manually or automatically.
- Added the ability to find files based on their tags.
- Now runs only on Mac OS 10.4 or later; version 6.9x
will remain available for 10.3 users.
6.91 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added "whole word" match option for Autofile.
- Refixed bug printing individual PDF files on Intel
6.9 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to create a smart folder easily by
selecting files using month and year.
- Improved dialog for editing custom attribute names.
6.8 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- When a new password is generated, the old one is put
in the notes with date and time.
- Fix bug in importing folders to top level of database.
6.79 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
improvement: The selected reminder is now automatically checked off
when a file is imported or moved into the reminder's folder.
- By default, if a reminder is selected, files are
imported into the reminder's folder.
a preference to allow the priority order of how the folder to import
into is selected among 1) the selected reminder folder, 2) the folder
selected in the browser, 3) the folder that matches the filename, and
4) the folder whose autofile specification matches a text or searchable
- Fixed bug printing individual PDF files on Intel
6.78 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
6.77 - Feature enhancement:
- The Backup Database menu item is now
disabled if the database has not been changed since last backup.
- Fixed printing bug.
6.76 - Feature enhancement:
the ability to go to the 20 most recent websites you have visited via
Records Master through the "Go To Recent Website" menu under the "File"
6.75 - Feature enhancements:
- Files and folders can now be dragged between database
browsers to copy from one database to another.
6.74 - Feature enhancement:
- Added option to ignore case when sorting (under Sorting
- The Import Logs folder is no longer expanded
when a log is added to it.
- Log entry is no longer selected along with imported
6.73 - Feature enhancements:
6.72 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- When a year folder is selected in the Browser, and it
contains only one file, that file is displayed.
a file is found, and it is the only file in a month folder, the month
folder is selected and the file is displayed, unless that month folder
is the only one in a year folder, in which case the year folder is
selected and the file is displayed.
- The import log file is not selected in the browser
after an import.
6.71 - Feature Enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added a preference to enable the creation of a log
file for each import.
- Hovering over a Browser item now displays its
location within the database (10.4+ only).
- Fixed user interface glitch in AutoFile attributes.
6.7 - Feature enhancements:
multiple files on the Records Master icon to import them now treats
them as a single import, highlighting all of them in the browser after
- Prevented importing Records Master databases.
- Disabled dragging browser items from one database to
- Fixed bug in editing Import Folder Specifications.
6.6 - Feature enhancement:
- You can now specify the date range for reports.
a preference to have double-clicking a file in the Browser open the
file (vice editing its name, which remains the default).
- Reorganized the preferences to have a "General" tab,
which contains the updates preference and the new double-click
6.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Each database can now have its own Import Folder.
6.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Improved AutoFile folder matching using specified
- Improved website password manager interface.
- Fixed entry of tabs before automatic user id and
6.3 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Changed the "Filing" file attribute tab to "AutoFile"
to better denote its purpose.
- When searching for dates to AutoFile, dates without
years are now supported.
searching for dates to AutoFile, now looks for ending dates only after
starting dates, resulting in more accurate date finding.
6.2 - Bug fix:
- Added notification that automatic website login is in
- Fixed website password manager interface glitch.
6.1 - Feature and reliability enhancements and bug fix:
- Fixed bug causing certain reminders not to go away
6.0 - Reliability and performance enhancement:
- Automatic filing now works for many PDFs--10.4 or
- "Go To URL" function added to File menu.
- Improved reliability with more index enhancements.
- Fixed bug in backup when saving only 1 backup copy.
5.9 - Feature enhancement:
rewrote internal index structure to: 1) dramatically improve
performance for large databases and 2) greatly improve ability to
recover from disk errors, freezes, or crashes, so your data is even
5.89 - Feature enhancements:
- Improved website password manager functionality and
user interface to accommodate more websites.
5.88 - Feature enhancements:
- When multiple items are dragged in the Bowser, they
now remain selected.
- Performance improvement when finding and selecting
5.87 - Leopard compatibility release.
option to delete files from a database or from the Import Folder
securely, overwriting them with random data before deletion.
- Added option added to securely delete backup
databases, overwriting them with random data before deletion.
- Added new "Security" menu for above and encryption
- Reorganized the "File" menu.
- Improved feedback during backup.
5.86 - Feature enhancement:
5.85 - Feature enhancements:
- 1Q, 2Q, 3Q, and 4Q can now be used to specify
quarters in filenames.
5.84 - Not released.
- Improved how multiple found items are handled in the
history...back button now steps through each found item.
- Improved performance of file display.
- Added a warning for encrypted databases without
automatic backups enabled.
- Added the ability to attempt recovery of a corrupted
database by holding down OPTION key while opening.
5.83 - Bug fixes:
5.82 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Fixed problem with encrypting empty databases.
- Fixed problem displaying .txt files as movies.
5.81 - Bug fixes:
- Improved user interface when importing by dragging a
file into the browser.
- Fixed bug in display of PDF
5.8 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Fixed problem displaying PDFs in databases not on the
- Fixed rare case where registration code had to be
entered on each launch.
5.7 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added support for website user IDs that are in 2
- Added additional website user ID automatic entry
option: go to URL, type tab to enter first field, then user ID.
- Limited Quicktime display to most common video/audio
types only, so it does not display text and pdf files.
- PDF files with extensions other than .pdf now display
and print properly.
5.6 Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Quicktime video and audio files can now be played
from the file display panel.
- Fixed bug in rearranging folders in the browser view.
5.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Enhanced quality of display of PDF files (10.4+ only).
- Allows PDF forms to be filled out and printed. (10.4+
- Fixed display of PDF files containing different page
- Minor performance improvements with Smart Folders.
- Improved error messages for deleting.
- Added the number of days left on trial to
- Fixed bug in creation of Smart Folders.
- Fixed bug causing deleted folders to not be removed
from the history or remind
5.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Added support in the folder website attributes
for sites that require the password to be entered manually, e.g., via
an on-screen keypad.
5.3 - Feature enhancement and other updates:
- Added Generate Password function to folder website
attributes (password manager).
5.2 Feature enhancements:
- Add ability to automatically enter user ID for a
- Reorganized website (password manager) attributes.
- Reorganized preferences.
- Added help buttons for all attribute panels.
- Reorganized documentation for folder attributes.
5.1 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added ability to put the displayed document or report
clipboard when copy is specified.
- Improved automatic repair of corrupted databases.
5.0 - Feature enhancement and other updates:
- Added ability to email selected files with Mail.
- Fixed bug in entering userID and passwords for web
4.9 - Feature enhancement:
- Added website password manager to facilitate going to
websites to download records.
- Updated Adobe icon to their current one.
- Improved documentation.
4.8 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added ability to specify quarter specifications in
autofiled file names (e.g. "folder+Q2" or "folder+2006q1").
4.7 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to find using "path is".
- Improved status messages.
- Fixed bug in creating Smart Folders with the button
4.6 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Multiple files, folders, or reports can now be
the same time.
- Added the ability to import the contents of the
as a file (under File menu).
- Added the ability to import applications into
- Fixed glitch in icon display introduced in release
4.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
4.4 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Multiple files, folders, or reports can now be
the same time.
- When exporting a smart folder, you can choose whether
the associated report (as a .csv file) or the folder and its contents.
- Improved performance for large databases.
- Simplified and improved the delete confirmation
- Improved icons shown in the browser.
- Fixed bug in creating smart folders.
4.3 - User interface enhancement and bug fix:
- Added forward and back buttons to the Browser,
to retrace the history of what you have selected.
multiple items are imported at the same time, they are placed in the
history, allowing you to easily look at each one individually.
- Updated documentation about importing.
- Fixed bug concerning dragging files and folders to
4.2 - Bug fixes:
- Improved status info presented as file path when a
file is not selected in the browser.
- Fixed bug concerning locked files.
4.1 - User interface enhancement and bug fixes:
- Importing locked files is now supported.
- Importing folders with custom icons works properly
- Importing from folders with custom icons works
- Fixed a bug affecting the ability to view.rtfd files
4.0 - Feature and user interface enhancements:
- The height of the panel to display all reminders is
remembered (until relaunch) if the user changes it.
- Improved error checking in the add/edit custom
- Fixed a bug in creating custom attribute names.
- Fixed a bug deleting files (introduced in 4.0).
3.6 - Fixed bug with searching Smart Folder names.
- Added scheduled reminders, associated with folders,
remind you when to download or scan in particular records.
- Files and folders can now be dragged from the Finder
the Browser to import them.
- Sorting options are now per-database, and are set
new "Sorting" menu, not the Preferences.
- When you create a new folder, you are now
able to edit its name.
3.5 - Performance and user interface enhancements and bug fix:
3.4 - Reliability and user interface enhancements and bug fixes:
- Improved performance of importing, moving, and
files and folders.
- Smart Folders no longer automatically expand when
items in the browser.
- Fixed a bug in importing aliases within imported
3.3 - User interface enhancements and bug fix:
are now checked for internal consistency when opened, with a progress
bar is displayed. This helps prevent data loss in cases where your
system crashes or freezes with a database open.
- Reorganized backup preferences to make it clearer
backup location can be set even though you do not backup automatically.
- Improved user interface for smart folder attributes.
- Fixed bug in editing smart folder names.
- Fixed bug in sorting top-level folders in the Browser.
3.2 - Reliability and user interface enhancements:
- When creating a new folder, you are automatically in
mode to name the folder.
- Clarified in user interface which items in the
- Improved warnings when deleting.
- Fixed bug deleting multiple Smart Folders.
3.1 - Feature enhancement, reliability improvements, bug fixes:
- Improved recovery of encrypted databases after system
with database open.
- When adding new custom attributes, allow
matching of custom attribute names.
- When adding new custom attributes, ignore keystrokes
would not match an existing custom attribute name.
3.0 - Feature improvements, bug fix, and name change:
- Added the ability to import aliases (importing the
referenced file with the alias name).
- Improved recovery from extraordinary occurrences such
- Fixed window resizing bug.
- Fixed crash when trying to import into a read-only
- Fixed deletion of ignored items in the import folder.
changed from Records Manager to Records Master. Registered
Records Manager users remain registered for Records Master.
the ability to associate custom attributes with imported files, such as
cost or amount.
the ability to produce text reports, line graphs, bar graphs, and
comma-separated-value files based on custom attributes associated with
- Added the ability to find files
based on their custom attributes.
- Added the ability
to find files and folders based on "path starts with".
the ability to create a Smart Folder containing files selected in the
- Added the ability to import
- Added progress bar when
deleting files or folders.
- Changed icon for
show/hide attributes panel.
- Fixed bug in editing
Smart Folder names.
- Now runs on Intel-based Macs
2.95 - Fixed bug with
unencrypted read-only databases
2.94 - Added new
type of Find that selects all found items.
Improved error checking for corrupted databases.
- Fixed bug in display of MB file sizes.
ability to automatically check for updates, controlled by a preference.
- Feature enhancement and bug fix:
ability to find by contents of notes.
- Fixed bug in
smart folders in encrypted databases.
- Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
Find function to support multiple find criteria and to allow finding by
modified date and pathname.
- Added "Smart Folders"
-- continuously-updated folders that contain files matching specified
- Added folder/file icons to the
folder/file window, to allow you to distinguish smart folders from
the file and folder attributes display so the built-in help information
can be hidden if desired, to conserve screen real estate.
it easier to rearrange the folder "Unfiled" in the Browser.
display of file attribute dates when day-before-month date format is
- Fixed bug in alphabetical sorting.
bug in displaying dragged file.
Backup Database command to backup upon demand.
word wrap in the folder/file notes.
- Made format of
modified date consistent with other dates.
- Feature enhancements:
file modification date and time to file attributes display.
creation and modification dates are now preserved in encrypted
2.5 - Feature enhancement:
the ability to drag/drop multiple files/folders.
Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to create a Backup Folder to
- Added the ability to create an
Import Folder to the
- Made it impossible to
select a folder that is not empty
as the Import Folder.
- Improved Import Folder
- Fixed bugs in processing dates.
2.3 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Replaced the attributes drawer with
notes and attributes views in lower left corner of window,
automatically shortening file/folder list as needed.
the ability to associate notes with folders as well
- Improved date entry in file
attributes: if you enter only
a starting date, the ending date is set equal. This is true for
entering dates in imported filenames also. This convenient for
receipts, which have only one date.
"Reset Dates" button to "Clear Dates" in file
- Added support for dates with format
- Moved the "Show/hide Attributes
Editor" Button under the
- Added help button to find
- Fixed bugs related to file importing in
2.2 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added the ability (controlled by a preference) to
that PDF files imported have a proper ".pdf' extension so they will
display properly. This is useful because some web sites produce pdf
with missing or wrong extensions.
- Fixed a bug
with folder names containing special
characters such as "é".
2.1 - Fixed bug in creating new databases.
2.0 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to encrypt databases with 128
- Read-only databases are now supported
read-only permissions or on read-only media).
- Performance improvements.
- Fixed bug in backup preferences.
bug in sorting preferences.
1.6 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to encrypt databases with 128
- Read-only databases are now supported
read-only permissions or on read-only media.)
- Performance improvements.
1.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to store notes about each file.
- Various performance improvements.
bug in Find command.
1.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to zoom and rotate images.
1.3 - Bug Fixes:
- Fixed compatibility with MacOS 10.2.8.
- Restored automatic creation of first database.
1.2 - Feature enhancements:
- Show progress dialog when importing files.
- Improved recovery after write error, force quit, or
1.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Show progress dialog when backing up a database.
- Show an immediate error if backup fails.
a bug in defaulting start date of a file based on
the end date entered into the attributes editor.
1.0 - Initial release.
Records Master is shareware. You can try it out for 30
but if you still use it thereafter, you must register it. The
price is very reasonable--$24. After 30 days,
will not work unless you have registered it.
you are a registered user of my companion program, QIF Master, you can
purchase Records Master for only $16 if you run on the same machine on
which QIF Master is running. This price is not applicable to prior
You can also purchase a registration
code for both Records Master and QIF Master as a bundle for $32.
purchase Records Master, click here,
or select Registration... under the Records Master
and click on the Purchase Registration Code button.
You will be taken
to a web site where you can choose among the above options, then to a
payment web site where you can pay by credit card. Once
paid, you will receive a registration code via email. You can
enter this code into Records Master Registration...
Master Copyright © 2005-2013 John Woodward. All rights
SM2DGraphView Copyright ©
2002-2008 Snowmint Creative Solutions LLC
may distribute Records Master unmodified via any media, as long as you
keep it together with its Read Me file.