| QIF Master
Runs on 10.4+
QIF Master makes it easier to enter banking, credit card, and investment transactions into Quicken or other programs that accept Quicken Interchange Format (QIF).
Note that Quicken Essentials For
Mac 2010 and later does not support QIF. Nor does
Quicken for Windows. They accept only QFX, which is a
proprietary format that cannot be produced by this
program. Quicken for Mac 2007 and earlier however, do
support qif, as do many other financial products.
Bank and Credit Card Transactions: Many online banks and credit card companies allow you to download recent transactions (checks, deposits, credit card charges, etc.) into a file in the Quicken Interchange Format (QIF), so that you can import these transactions into your Quicken account. The problem with this approach is that typically the bank has no way of assigning meaningful categories to the transactions. So, if you care about categorizing your Quicken transactions, you must go through each transaction you have just imported in Quicken, and add categories. QIF Master automates this process.
Some banks and credit card companies also produce transaction histories in QFX or OFX format. OFX is an open standard format, and QFX is a Quicken-specific variant. Quicken can import QFX format (Quicken calls this Web Connect) and match transactions with transactions already in your register. This matching is useful, but if you like your transactions automatically categorized, you might prefer to process the QFX or OFX with QIF Master, which will convert it to QIF and add categories. If all you have available is OFX, you cannot import it into Quicken, but you can convert it to QIF and then import it.
QIF Master adds Quicken categories based on the description (e.g. payee) of each transaction. To convert a QIF file, just drop it onto QIF Master. You can configure QIF Master as a browser helper application for files of type application/qif to have it run automatically on downloaded QIF files. The resulting file can then be imported into Quicken.
Investment Transactions: Although recent versions of Quicken for the Macintosh have allowed investment transactions to be downloaded into Quicken, in many cases the downloads are incomplete and sometimes wrong. An alternative approach is to use QIF Master to extract QIF from your investment firm's transaction history web page and import that QIF into Quicken. Investment information is not produced in QIF format by the investment firms; to get QIF you must use QIF Master to convert the transactions on the web page into QIF.
CSV Files: QIF Master will also convert comma-separated value (CSV) files into QIF.
Finally, QIF Master also performs other useful transformations on any financial data it can process, producing output data as CSV or tab-separated entries in text files. Thus, QIF Master can convert financial data from QIF, OFX, QFX, web pages, CSV, or tab-separated value files into QIF, CSV, or tab-separated values files.
Complete documentation for QIF Master is provided as help
within the application.
NOTE: If you are interested in
producing an import into Quickbooks (iif format), you could
use QIF Master in conjunction with an applescript to
convert qif to iif.
Frequently Asked Questions
11.8 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Adapted detection of QIF to include Chase's bogus QIF that does not follow the standard in how it denotes the end of transactions.
- Fixed bug that caused added accounts not to show up as
categories (in brackets).
11.7 - Not released.
11.6 - Fixed bug in specifying instructions.
11.5 - Added debugging info to the "Email The Author"
11.4 - Improved compatibility with Mac OS 10.10+
11.3 - Improved compatibility with Mac OS 10.10+
11.2 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added the ability to extract investment transactions from input where "Miscellaneous Income" or "Miscellaneous Expense" must be determined by the sign of the amount.
11.1 - User interface and documentation improvement and bug
- Improved prompts concerning the need to tell QIF Master security names your financial software uses when processing investment transactions.
- Updated all dialogs and documentation to change references
to "Quicken" to "your financial software", unless Quicken
specifically is meant.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
11.0 - Feature, compatibility and documentation improvements and bug fix.
- Rewrote and improved the Edit -> Accounts function to
include specification of account type.
- Improved compatibility with a Citibank non-standard
transaction download format.
- Changed the term "Extract Format" to "Input Format" throughout the program and documentation. This type of format describes how transactions can be extracted from input text.
- Help is now available at all times, even with the Control
- Added help buttons in the Control Dialog.
- Improved prompts in the Control Dialog.
- Fixed bug with the "Continue Where I Left Off" button in the Control Dialog.
10.91 - Fixed bug in 10.9.
10.9 - Improved error checking for invalid extract formats.
10.8 - Improved compatibility with certain website formats.
10.7 - Improved registration user interface.
10.61 - Fixed bug in update feature.
10.6 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for interpreting CSV with returns within
10.5 - Improved help viewer.
10.41 - Fixed minor bug in 10.4.
10.4 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to create or edit the list of accounts.
- Improved help viewer.
- Fixed bug in editing instructions.
10.3 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added more columns to the define extract format dialogs to handle input CSV with up to 25 fields.
10.2 - Added FAQ to the built-in documentation.
10.1 - Bug fix:
- Updated "Email The Author" function with proper version number.
10.0 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Updated for Mountain Lion (10.8).
- Updated icon for retina displays.
9.9 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support non-standard CSV produced by T Rowe Price.
9.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Added preference to have description instructions match either description or memo.
9.7 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to put split information in non-QIF output.
- Instructions no longer need to have a category.
- Fixed bug in new instruction dialog.
- Fixed bug editing instruction with splits in it.
9.6 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added support for Quicken categories of the format "[Account]Category".
- Fixed bug in registration system with names containing Latin characters.
- Added ability to put account name in non-QIF output (i.e., to specify that the account be present in an output format).
- Fixed bugs in adding splits to a transaction.
- Added support for non-standard Bank Of America qif.
- Fixed bug in deleting items from lists (under Edit menu).
- Fixed user interface glitch in editing output formats.
- Fixed bug in importing extract format definitions.
- Fixed bugs in editing categories and securities.
9.2 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed more bugs in editing an instruction from a confirmation dialog (introduced in 9.0).
9.1 - Bug Fix:
- Fixed bug in editing an instruction from a confirmation dialog (introduced in 9.0).
9.0 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized the Edit Instuctions function.
8.91 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug in qfx/ofx processing introduced in 8.9.
8.9 - Compatibility and feature enhancements:
- Added support for a bank that does not implement the ofx standard properly (producing debits as credits).
- Improved checking for new versions (via the Sparkle framework).
- Added Check For Updates... item to QIF Master
8.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized the Edit Extract Formats function.
8.71 - Bug fix:
- Investments fees in QIF output are now output as a positive number.
8.7 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized the Edit Ouput Formats function.
8.6 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized and documented the Edit Categories function.
8.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to export and import extract format
definitions with .qmef files.
8.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to edit list of securities.
8.3 - Feature enhancements:
- Added improved defaulting of preferences for first-time users.
- Improved compatibility with PC financial programs.
8.2 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Added support for unusual OFX from a UK Bank.
- Clarified status message when processing a QIF file that contains lists (e.g. secrurities, accounts, categories) but not transactions.
- Added warning when categories ending with a : are entered.
8.1 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for importing QIF that contains both lists (like accounts, categories, securities) and transactions, to better support iBank.
- Added ability to add splits to investment banking transactions.
- Added ability to specify splits in instructions.
- Add tabs to instruction dialogs to specify instructions that match amounts.
- Made investment confirm dialog more similar to banking/credit card confirm dialog.
- Added preference to leave blank banking/credit card descriptions blank.
- Add button in registration dialog to retrieve a purchased registration code.
- Checking for updates is now doing in the background.
- Improved help available in confirm and instruction dialogs.
- Fixed several minor bug fixes related to splits.
- Restore extraction of certain cases of amounts with currency symbols (broken in 7.72).
- Added function under QIF Master menu to email the author.
- Added button to registration dialog to retrieve previously-purchased registration code.
- Fixed problem with amount in extracted bank/cc transaction being zero.
- Fix crash introduced in 7.7.
- Fix user interface glitch in splits entry.
7.7 - Feature enhancements:
- Added preference to specify the precision of amounts in
banking/credit card transactions.
- Changed "Investment" Preferences tab to "Precisions".
7.6 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- In banking/credit card confirm dialog, the memo is now shown when adding or editing splits.
- In banking/credit card confirm dialog, any changed values are now retained when adding or editing splits.
- Fixed bug in putting split memo into output.
- Fixed bug in editing the menu in instructions.
7.5 - Compatibility and documentation enhancements:
- Added the ability to extract investment transactions from input where "Buy" or "Sell" must be determined by the sign of the amount.
- Various documentation corrections/improvements.
7.4 - Feature and compatibility enhancements:
- Added tooltips to display long description and memo fields in new instruction and confirm dialogs.
- Added a "Non-US" preference to have output QIF dates
contain dashes instead of slashes.
7.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Improved detection of type of input to be processed.
7.22 - Fixed bug in processing QIF splits.
7.21 - Fixed bug introduced in 7.2.
- Added Output Preferences to allow for customization of Description and Memo fields output in transactions.
7.1 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Added support for extracted bank/CC transactions that specify both a credit and a debit, ignoring the 0 one.
- Fixed bug in importing list of categories.
- Added ability to have blank columns in csv or tabbed output.
- Added option to reformat date of csv or tabbed output.
- You can no longer create an output format that does not match type of input being processed.
- Help now displays properly.
- Starts more gracefully when there is no network connectivity to check for updates.
- Added support for extracted date format dd.mm.yyyy.
- Added the ability to skip remaining transactions in confirmation dialogs.
- Clarified part of define extract format dialogs.
- Added support for non-standard QIF from a New Zealand bank.
- Fixed bug in appending non-QIF output.
- Removed erroneous error message when creating the second instruction for a description with an associated amount.
- Added the ability to change the sign of QIF amounts.
- Improved automatic adjustment of split amounts as splits are edited.
- Fixed bug in CSV date processing.
- Fixed bug in display of non-US amounts in splits.
- Fixed bug in display of categories from input QIF in confirmation dialog
- Added support for extracting amounts with USD in front of them.
- Added support for extracting dates with format such as 1-Nov with no year.
- Added support for two-digit year in more extracted date formats.
- Fixed bug in processing of mis-formed CSV.
- Fixed bug in editing descriptions
- Fixed bug processing QIF inadvertently introduced in 6.3
- Added support for QFX 2.02.
- Added support for extracted amounts with + or - after the amount.
- Added support for banking/credit card QIF transactions that have neither a description nor a memo, by setting the description to "NO DESCRIPTION'.
- Added support for extracting transactions from semicolon-separated value (SSV) files.
- Updated and modernized look of help information.
- Updated registration mechanism to reflect Records Master update.
- Improved support for QIF from Microsoft Money.
- Improved feedback presented after importing accounts, categories and/or securities.
- Fixed bug in extracting check numbers from descriptions in investment transactions.
- Added support for credit card QIF from Advanta bank, which uses an unusual QIF format.
- Added support for yet another bank's unusual QIF.
- Added the "Update category when description changed in confirm dialog" preference under the Banking/Credit card tab to allow your instructions to update the category in the confirm dialog box as you change the description.
- Fixed user interface glitch in dialogs with pull-down menus in which you can also type.
- Based on new user requests, changed trial period from 30 days to 100 transactions saved.
- Improved prompting in Control dialog.
- Updated documentation about which web browsers are supported (Omnipage now works).
- Fixed bug in adding splits.
- Miscellaneous minor bug fixes.
- Added support for extracting from TIAA/CREF transaction history
- Fixed extracting investment transactions (broken in 5.7).
- Added support for non-US amounts (with , as decimal place) in QIF.
- Added support for QIF dates without a year.
- Added the ability to edit the list of categories.
- Added "Investment" preferences to specify the precision of investment amounts, prices, and shares.
- Now includes all types of Quicken accounts (e.g. Cash) as transfers in categories list. Re-import your accounts to get this feature.
5.61 - Fixed defining new formats, which was broken in 5.6.
5.6 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added preference to not add categories to bank/credit card transactions.
- Allowed for OFX/QFX with no description in a bank/cc transaction,
- Updated registration mechanism to reflect tie-in to Records Master.
- Fixed bug in extracting investment transactions.
- Fixed bug with always skipping a transaction type in extracted transaction.
5.51 - Fixed problem with new version checking.
5.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Add ability to add/remove splits from transactions (before you could just edit splits if they were present in the input).
- Added automatic checking for program updates.
- Added support for non-US characters in extracted text.
- Fixed bug in use of account transfers ([account]).
- Now a Universal Binary!
- Account transfers ([account]) can now be specified as categories.
- Improved error checking of category entries.
- Fixed bug in processing banking transactions that already contain categories.
- Added support for splits in QIF input. Split information will appear only in QIF output.
- Added support for more variants of QFX/OFX.
- Added support for QIF with non-standard line endings.
- Improved support for extracted investment banking transactions.
- Fixed bug in handling extracted investment transactions.
- Added support for yet another bank that produces invalid textual output.
- Added support for another financial institution with unusual OFX.
- Fixed a bug with continuation files for investment transactions.
5.0 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the oft-requested ability to stop in the middle of processing transactions and continue later. This is done by creating a "Continuation File" that you open when you want to continue.
- The folder of the last file opened is now remembered in open/save dialogs regardless of how the file was opened.
- Added support for more amount formats when extracting.
- Added a new way to match extract formats with input text, enabled by the preference Match Formats Using FIRST MATCH instead of LONGEST MATCH in the Extracting tab of the Preferences.
- Improved Instruction dialog layout and default settings.
- Added command-s keyboard shortcut to Swap Description and Memo buttons.
- Fixed bug in "Edit Format" dialog.
- Fixed bug in defining extract formats when an item is found after text in the first field of the input.
- Fixed bug in creating new instructions based on existing categories.
- Fixed errors in documentation.
4.99 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added a preference in the Banking/Credit Card tab to cause instructions to be matched against descriptions with the longest match. Thus, if you have an instruction for "Withdrawal" and for "Withdrawal Franchise Tax", a description of "Withdrawal Franchise Tax" would match the latter.
- Added the ability to create a new instruction for a transaction to the Banking/Credit Card confirmation dialog.
- Changed instruction-related functions in the Banking/Credit Card confirmation dialog from buttons to a pull-down menu.
- Improved the tool tips in the New Instruction dialog.
- The setting of the input type ("QIF" versus "QIF (Swap Description and Memo)") in the Control dialog is now saved between uses.
- Fixed bug interpreting non-US amounts.
- Fixed bug defining formats.
4.98 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for producing output with non-US format dates and amounts. This is useful if you import the QIF Master output into programs (other than Quicken) that require non-US dates and/or amounts. This new feature is enabled in the new "Non-US" tab in the preferences.
- Improved automatic detection of non-US amounts in input.
4.97 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Descriptions entered are now remembered and can be chosen from a menu, just like categories.
- Added ability to delete specific remembered descriptions.
- Various bug fixes.
- Improved Documentation.
4.96 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added support for investment QFX/OFX from financial institutions that use an uncommon variant of QFX/OFX.
- Added support for Reinvest, Transfer, Income, Return Of Capital, Margin Interest, and Interest Expense QFX/OFX investment transactions.
- Various bug fixes.
4.95 - Updated QIF Master Legacy Data Import companion application.
4.94 - Restored compatibility with MacOS 10.2.8 (broken in 4.92).
4.93 - Provided for more graceful recovery when the preferences file is corrupted, e.g., by a system freeze.
4.92 - Feature enhancements, documentation improvement, and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to invert the sign of amount when extracting credit card information, as an option during format definition.
- Improved support for extracting when text starts with the first transaction.
- Removed non-functional "Clear" item from Edit menu.
- Added link in csv help section to csv export documentation.
- Improved hover help for output format field in Control dialog.
4.91 - Improved support for banking QFX/OFX.
4.9 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added support for extracted transactions with a single column for both credits and debits, with a credit specifier (e.g. "CR") in a different column.
- Increase support for non-US currencies by removing all currency symbols from extracted amounts.
- Improved user friendliness of format definition process.
4.83 - Update and bug fix:
- -Updated Paypal purchase URL
- - Fixed bug that caused the "Save" button in the new instruction dialog to be improperly dimmed
4.82 - Added support for TCF Bank, which produces QIF with an unusual format
4.81 - Fixed bug in processing QIF with check numbers when all transactions are confirmed.
4.8 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Added support for non-QIF dates of the format "Nov. 6, 2004".
- Fixed bugs in the swap description and memo feature.
4.7 - This release includes the features in Beta release 4.7B3, in addition to the following:
- Reduced the size of the number field in the Control dialog.
- When you turn on the "Use description" checkbox, the text field in which you enter the new description will be defaulted to the existing one.
- Fixed bug in processing of QIF with numbers that have leading blanks.
4.7B3 - Because of the extent of these changes, I decided to release this as a Beta release. Feedback welcome. Feature enhancements:
- Added "Back" button to go back one transaction in confirm and new instruction dialogs. This button appears only if you are confirming all transactions.
- The confirmation dialog for "Cancel" button presses can now be turned on or off in the "Control" tab of the preferences.
- Added the ability to disable the warning that a particular non-QIF/QFX/OFX transaction cannot be processed. Currently, such a warning could occur only with formats with one transaction per line, in these two cases: 1) you are processing CSV and the CSV contains an item with an opening quotation mark without a closing quotation mark; and 2) if an input line does not contain a valid date. If you disable the warning that the transaction must be skipped, such lines will be silently ignored. You can turn the warning on or off by editing the format.
- Changed the preference that controls whether QFX/OFX transactions are always confirmed: it used to be the "Allow me to confirm all extracted transactions" preference under the "Extracting" tab of the preferences, and is now the "Allow me to confirm all transactions" preference under the "QIF/QFX/OFX Input" tab.
- Leading blanks on numbers (e.g. check numbers) in QIF input are now removed.
- A preference was added to allow Banking/Credit Card numbers (e.g. check number) longer than 5 characters to be removed, because some versions of Quicken will truncate these. This preference appears in the "Banking/Credit Card" tab. If you specify this preference, numbers longer than 5 characters will still appear in the confirmation dialog, but will be removed before QIF is output.
- Now supports QFX with blanks at the beginning of the file (unusual for QFX).
4.61 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in bank/credit card format learning when format has a single column for amount that causes amount not to be extracted.
- Clarified prompt in bank/credit card format learning when format has a single column for amount.
- Fixed extracting bug for certain formats with lines consisting of only blanks.
4.6 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to swap banking/credit card description and memo on a per-transaction basis.
- Added a confirmation dialog for "Cancel" button presses that result in all processed transactions being discarded.
- Added limited support for investment QFX/OFX. Only buy and sell transactions are supported at this time. As far as I know, this new feature is the only way to download TIAA-CREF transactions.
- Fixed a crash involving swapping description and memo.
4.51 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed crash when a custom date range or "last month's transactions" results in no transactions being processed.
- Fixed rare crash extracting with certain text formats (introduced in Release 4.5).
4.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added support for non-QIF/QFX/OFX input containing a single amount column where the indication of whether the transaction is a credit or a debit appears in a different column. Usually, the amount column contains a minus sign to indicate a debit, or there are separate columns for debits and credits. Now, support is added for a column that specifies something like "Debit" or "Credit".
- Improved handling of CSV input: 1) blank lines now ignored; 2) leading whitespace in each field ignored; 3) quotation marks around first field handled properly.
4.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Added support for QIF/QFX/OFX input containing dates in which the day appears before the month (e.g., dd-mm-yy). This feature is turned on via a preference.
4.3 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added the ability to process QIF without importing Quicken categories. This makes QIF Master useful for people who use other applications such as iBank instead of Quicken.
- Fixed a bug in the handling of non-QIF input dates of the format yyyymmdd.
4.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to edit extracted input for investment transactions. This option, available through the investment confirm dialog, is useful in rare instances when the input text does not convey all transaction types consistently. As an example, at the time of this writing, Schwab puts certain values like the number of shares in the wrong column for certain transaction types only. When you encounter such a transaction, you can edit the input to specify the shares properly.
- Added the ability to override the type of an individual extracted investment transaction.
- Allows an empty type to be defined for extracted investment transactions.
- Improved error checking for extracted investment transactions.
- Improved compatibility with some slightly non-standard QFX/OFX files.
- Improved the determination that input is QIF (as opposed to text to be extracted from).
- Fixed a bug whereby the "Redefine Security" button in the investment confirm dialog disappeared sometimes, and appears sometimes when it shouldn't.
4.1 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a preference to convert banking/credit card descriptions and memos that contain all capital letters to initial caps. Thus, "CHECK PAID" would be changed to "Check Paid". The preference is in the Banking/Credit Card tab.
- Added support for non-QIF/QFX/OFX input containing dates in the format 20-Mar-2004.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut for the Preferences to be
the standard apple-comma.
4.0 - Feature enhancements:
- QFX or OFX format banking or credit card transactions are now accepted as input, and are converted to QIF.
- Added ability to redefine the type of an extracted investment transaction in the case where fields required for the current type are missing.
- Made minor corrections to the documentation.
- Note: Release 4.0 is the beginning of support for QFX/OFX. I have limited sources of QFX/OFX to test, so it is possible that not all bank's QFX/OFX will be properly handled by this release. Therefore, I suggest that you turn on the preference to confirm all transactions if you are using QFX/OFX until you are satisfied it is being processed properly. If you have any problems, please let me know. Also, this release does not support Investment QFX/OFX because I have none to test. Although I know that QFX is used for Quicken's Direct Connect feature, the QFX in that case flows directly into Quicken, and cannot be processed by QIF Master. If anybody out there has a source of Investment QFX/OFX, I would love to take a look at it so I can start supporting it.
3.9 - User-requested features and bug fixes:
- Added support for non-QIF input containing dates in the format yyyymmdd.
- Added support for non-QIF input containing amounts with commas for decimal places and periods to separate thousands, such as 4.000,34
- Fixed bug whereby in rare circumstances all fields are not shown when defining an extract format.
3.8 - User-requested feature and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to swap description and memo fields when processing QIF.
- Fixed blank popup menus in Control dialog (broken in Release 3.7).
- Restored compatibility with 10.1 (broken in Release 3.7).
- Fixed bug in production of csv output whose fields contained quotation marks.
- Fixed rounding error affecting extraction only.
3.7 - Compatibility enhancements, feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added support for extracting from text where the first line of text contains a transaction.
- When guessing which format applies to input text, the longest match will be used.
- Improved compatibility with input text copied from Internet Explorer.
- Fixed a bug in CSV processing, whereby the end of a line could not contain a quotation mark.
3.6 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a preference to force transactions not to be marked as cleared.
- Added the ability to specify, via the Control dialog, that a specified number be applied to all applicable output transactions.
- Added to ability to associate a specified memo with all
3.5 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Added support for non-QIF input containing dates in which the day appears before the month (e.g., dd-mm-yy). Note that even though QIF Master can now interpret dates with this format, dates produced by QIF Master continue to be of the format mm/dd/yyyy.
- Added support for non-QIF input containing dates of the form 28 November 2003.
- Added support for non-QIF input containing amounts with the British Pound symbol (£).
- Added support for input containing non-ASCII characters that sometimes appear in non-US input (e.g., Norwegian).
- Added new 30 day trial period extension.
3.4 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Added support for Capital One credit cards, which produces QIF with an unusual format.
- Fixed an obscure bug in defining formats for text with a great deal of extraneous information after the last transaction.
3.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to extract QIF from text that has multiple dates (e.g. trade date and settlement date or transaction date and bond redemption date) per transaction, even if each transaction does not appear on a single line in the text. To use this feature, you would choose method 6 of finding fields when defining the format for the text. This method was added specifically to handle Fidelity Bond transactions when extracted from Mozilla.
3.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to extract QIF from text that does not have a date starting each transaction, or has multiple dates (e.g. trade date and settlement date) per transaction, as long as each transaction appears on a single line in the text. This would be true for CSV files, and perhaps for some web pages. This user-requested features allows more brokerages, such as Vanguard, to be supported.
- In the Edit Extract Format dialog you can now select and delete multiple formats at one time.
- In the Edit Output Format dialog you can now select and delete multiple formats at one time.
- Changed the Edit Instructions dialog to allow choice of the instructions to edit with a table, to be consistent with the Edit Output Formats and Edit Extract Formats dialogs, including the ability to delete multiple instructions at one time.
- When editing instructions, you can now edit the string to be matched to use the instructions.
- Now recognizes the date format yyyy-mm-dd when extracting QIF from text.
- Removed restriction that you cannot append QIF without a type to an existing QIF file. The type will be deduced from the account you choose.
- Fixed a bug with the date stepper added in release 3.0.
- Increased stability when processing text with the wrong extract format.
3.1 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to delete extract format type definitions via the Edit Extract Formats dialog.
- Added the ability to delete extract format security definitions via the Edit Extract Formats dialog.
- Enabled use of up and down arrow keys to select rows Edit Extract Formats, Delete Type Definitions, Delete Security Definitions, and Edit Output Formats dialogs.
3.0- This release includes the features in Beta release 3.0B1, in addition to the following:
- Added the ability to adjust the date used in an output transaction via a control in the confirmation dialog.
- Increased compatibility when extracting QIF from banking/credit card websites that have non-transaction information following the last transaction (e.g., NetBank).
- Moved the preference If description is blank, treat memo as description to the Banking/Credit Card tab, since it applies regardless of whether the input is QIF or is extracted from text.
- Changed confirm dialogs to show the date that will be used in the output if Use same date for each transaction is specified in the Control dialog.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes of 3.0B1 features.
3.0B1- This Beta release contains new features and bug fixes:
- Release 2.0 added support for Quicken 2003 banking transactions appearing in investment account registers. This support handled the way that Fidelity Investments produces investment history, but did not fully support other brokerages such as Schwab. This release, motivated by Schwab, allows more flexibility in extracting transactions using these new transaction types.
- Added the ability to produce output in comma or tab separated value files instead of QIF. You can use this to extract transactions from a web site and save as a CSV file to import into Excel.
- Added the ability to specify a date to be applied to all output transactions.
- Reorganized preference dialog to be clearer.
- Added a preference to specify that you are using Quicken 2003.
- Added a preference to specify whether extracted transactions should be confirmed.
- Added the ability to select formats to edit by typing the first few characters of the format name.
- Added support for extracting dates that contain blanks.
- Fixed bugs.
2.1 - Feature enhancements:
- When creating an instruction, if you shorten the description more than you intended, you can now type back the characters you removed by mistake.
- When defining a banking/credit card format, you can now specify (optionally) where categories appear in the text.
- In conjunction with the above change, if you specify in the preferences that categories in the input should be used in the output, and you don't specify in the preferences that you want to confirm all transactions, and your input contains categories, then the input is processed automatically without any confirmations or use of any instructions. This mode is probably useful in several situations, but was designed to accommodate CSV data that contains categories, to make it faster to process CSV.
2.0 - This release includes the features in Beta release 2.0B2, in addition to the following:
- Added support for an additional QIF date format, further reducing the occurrence of the corrupted QIF error message.
- Added support for downloaded .asp files.
- Added a "Don't Treat As QIF" button to the Control dialog, to address the rare instance when QIF Master assumes a file is QIF when it is not.
- Added the ability for an instruction for processing bank or credit card QIF to specify that the description in the transaction should be changed to a specified value.
- Miscellaneous improvements to the Help documentation.
2.0B2- This Beta release includes support for new Quicken 2003 features, feature enhancements, and bug fixes:
- Quicken 2003 allows banking transactions to appear in investment account registers. These new transaction types (Return of Capital, Sell Short, Cover Short, Margin Interest, ATM, Point of Sale, Deposit, Withdrawal, Check) are now supported when extracting QIF from text.
- Changed Cancel button on Edit Formats dialog to "Done".
- Added preference to mark unknown transactions as cleared.
- Added error message stating that processing a QIF Investment file is not supported.
- Added support for new QIF date formats. This fixes the error message about corrupted QIF.
- Fixed extracting from csv text with credits and debits in different columns.
- Fixed preference for marking transactions as cleared.
1.7 - Bug fixes and improved error reporting:
- The "Skip All Transactions of this Type" button in the investment confirm dialog now works properly.
- Credit card transactions extracted from text or CSV files are no longer treated as investment transactions.\
- Improved error checking for bank and credit card transactions extracted from text or CSV files.
- Fixed a bug in determining when QIF Master is registered.
- Added line number to error messages about corrupt QIF input.
1.6 - Compatibility enhancements based on user requests:
- Supports QIF downloaded in ".jsp" files instead of ".qif" files.
- Supports BankOne, which produces QIF with an unusual format.
1.5 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a preference to match banking/credit card descriptions with "contains" instead of the default "starts with". This is useful for some QIF that has transaction numbers at the beginning of each description. This preference is under the "Banking/Credit Card" preference tab.
- Moved the "If description is blank, treat memo as description" preference to the "Banking/Credit Card" preference tab.
1.4 - User interface enhancements and bug fixes:
- Clarified prompts in banking/credit card confirmation dialog.
- Removed buttons for editing instructions in banking/credit card transactions without a matching instruction (such as a transaction without a description).
- Fixed a bug that caused amounts to be output incorrectly in banking/credit card transactions without descriptions.
1.3 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Accepts more non-standard QIF produced by some banks.
- When specifying categories, typing ":" now works as in Quicken, to autocomplete to the end of the category and select the first subcategory.
- Fixed a bug that caused extracted investment QIF without an account specified not to be recognized by Quicken.
- In extracting investment QIF, the meanings of transaction types and security names are now saved on a per-format basis.
- The investment confirm dialog was changed to allow the redefinition of a transaction type or a security.
- Several dialog usability enhancements.
1.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Improvements of how categories in banking and credit card
QIF are determined:
- Categories can now be based on the categories on the input QIF, useful for some credit card QIF
- Categories present in the input QIF can be automatically used as the categories in the output, useful for some credit card QIF
- The Preferences dialog was reorganized to use tabs.
- Accepts two-digits years on all date input: QIF, extracted text, and in Control dialog.
- Changed banking/credit card transaction dialogs to refer to "Numbers" rather than "Check Numbers" , because in a credit card file these could be reference numbers. Also left more space in the dialogs for the longer numbers typical of reference numbers.
- Fixed the "corrupted QIF" error message that caused valid QIF files not to be recognized as QIF.
- Several dialog usability enhancements.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
1.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Supports empty transaction type in extract format definition to handle American Express Brokerage transaction history.
- Clipboard is not automatically processed when QIF Master is brought forward if the clipboard has already been processed.
- Fixed bug that caused prices not to be output in extracted QIF in some cases.
1.0 - Initial release.
QIF Master Copyright © 2002-2017 John Woodward. All rights reserved.