Master makes it easier to enter banking, credit
investment transactions into Quicken or other programs that accept
Quicken Interchange Format (QIF).
Note that Quicken Essentials
For Mac 2010 and later does not support QIF. Nor does Quicken for
Windows. They accept only QFX,
which is a proprietary format that cannot be produced by this
program. Quicken for Mac 2007 and earlier however, do support
qif, as do many other financial products.
Bank and Credit Card Transactions: Many
and credit card companies allow you to download recent transactions
(checks, deposits, credit card charges, etc.) into a file in the
Quicken Interchange Format (QIF), so that you can import these
transactions into your Quicken account. The problem with
this approach is that typically the bank has no way of assigning
meaningful categories to the transactions. So, if you care
about categorizing your Quicken transactions, you must go through
each transaction you have just imported in Quicken, and add
QIF Master automates this process.
Some banks and credit card companies also produce
histories in QFX or OFX format. OFX is an open standard format,
and QFX is a Quicken-specific variant. Quicken can import QFX
format (Quicken calls this Web Connect) and match transactions
with transactions already in your register. This matching is useful,
but if you like your transactions automatically categorized, you
might prefer to process the QFX or OFX with QIF Master, which
will convert it to QIF and add categories. If all you have available
is OFX, you cannot import it into Quicken, but you can convert
it to QIF and then import it.
QIF Master adds Quicken categories based on the
(e.g. payee) of each transaction. To convert a QIF file, just
drop it onto QIF Master. You can configure QIF Master as
a browser helper application for files of type application/qif
to have it run automatically on downloaded QIF files. The resulting
file can then be imported into Quicken.
Investment Transactions: Although
Quicken for the Macintosh have allowed investment transactions
to be downloaded into Quicken, in many cases the downloads are
incomplete and sometimes wrong. An alternative approach is to
use QIF Master to extract QIF from your investment firm's transaction
history web page and import that QIF into Quicken. Investment
information is not produced in QIF format by the investment firms;
to get QIF you must use QIF Master to convert the transactions
on the web page into QIF.
CSV Files: QIF Master will also
value (CSV) files into QIF.
Finally, QIF Master also performs other useful
on any financial data it can process, producing output data as
CSV or tab-separated entries in text files. Thus, QIF Master can
convert financial data from QIF, OFX, QFX, web pages, CSV, or
tab-separated value files into QIF, CSV, or tab-separated values
Complete documentation for QIF Master is provided
NOTE: If you are interested in
producing an import into
Quickbooks (iif format), you could use QIF Master in conjunction with
an applescript to convert
qif to iif.
QIF Master is a Cocoa (MacOS X only) application.
I am moving my copy of QIF Master to another system. How do I
move all my saved information (formats, instructions, etc.)?
A: Your saved information is kept in your
preferences in the file "us.theWoodwards.jplw.QIFMaster.plist" in
the "Preferences" folder in the "Library" folder in your home
folder. Just move this to your new system along with the
application. On 10.7+ you may find that you cannot get to the
"Library" folder as it is hidden by default. If you find that this is
the case, you can always get into the the "Library" folder by--in the
Finder--using the "Go" menu with the option key held down and you will
be able to select "Library" in the menu. From there you can navigate to
the "Preferences" folder.
Q: I am running 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or
cannot get your program to run because it was not downloaded from the
app store (the OS complains about an unidentified developer). What do I
Just right-click on the program and choose
"Open". Then answer the dialog saying you want to open the
application. This will run the program and allow you to run it in
just by double-clicking it.
Q: QIF Master says that an update is available, but when I say to update, it says that the update is improperly signed.
A: Download version 10.61 or later from my website.
Q: An update I installed restarted my trial...what is going on? What do I do?
A: This can happen occasionally depending on the specific
versions you are upgrading from and to. If this happens, just re-enter
your registration name and code. If you do not have them, feel free to
email me and I will resend them to you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
11.2 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added the ability to extract investment transactions
from input where "Miscellaneous Income" or "Miscellaneous Expense" must
be determined by the sign of the amount.
11.1 - User interface and documentation improvement and bug fixes:
- Improved prompts concerning the need to
tell QIF Master security names your financial software uses when
processing investment transactions.
- Updated all dialogs and documentation to change references to
"Quicken" to "your financial software", unless Quicken specifically is
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
11.0 - Feature, compatibility and documentation improvements and bug fix.
- Rewrote and improved the Edit -> Accounts function to include specification of account type.
- Improved compatibility with a Citibank non-standard transaction download format.
- Changed the term "Extract Format" to "Input Format" throughout
the program and documentation. This type of format describes how
transactions can be extracted from input text.
- Help is now available at all times, even with the Control dialog open.
- Added help buttons in the Control Dialog.
- Improved prompts in the Control Dialog.
- Fixed bug with the "Continue Where I Left Off" button in the Control Dialog.
10.91 - Fixed bug in 10.9.
10.9 - Improved error checking for invalid extract formats.
10.8 - Improved compatibility with certain website formats.
10.7 - Improved registration user interface.
10.61 - Fixed bug in update feature.
10.6 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for interpreting CSV with returns within quoted fields.
10.5 - Improved help viewer.
10.41 - Fixed minor bug in 10.4.
10.4 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to create or edit the list of accounts.
- Improved help viewer.
- Fixed bug in editing instructions.
10.3 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added more columns to the define extract format
dialogs to handle input CSV with up to 25 fields.
10.2 - Added FAQ to the built-in documentation.
10.1 - Bug fix:
- Updated "Email The Author" function with proper
10.0 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Updated for Mountain Lion (10.8).
- Updated icon for retina displays.
9.9 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support non-standard CSV produced by T Rowe
9.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Added preference to have description instructions
match either description or memo.
9.7 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to put split information in non-QIF
- Instructions no longer need to have a category.
- Fixed bug in new instruction dialog.
- Fixed bug editing instruction with splits in it.
9.6 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
9.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Added support for Quicken categories of the format
- Fixed bug in registration system with names
9.4 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Added ability to put account name in non-QIF output
(i.e., to specify that the account be present in an output format).
- Fixed bugs in adding splits to a transaction.
9.3 - Bug fixes:
- Added support for non-standard Bank Of America qif.
- Fixed bug in deleting items from lists (under Edit
- Fixed user interface glitch in editing output formats.
- Fixed bug in importing extract format definitions.
- Fixed bugs in editing categories and securities.
9.2 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed more bugs in editing an instruction from a
confirmation dialog (introduced in 9.0).
9.1 - Bug Fix:
- Fixed bug in editing an instruction from a
confirmation dialog (introduced in 9.0).
9.0 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized the Edit Instuctions function.
8.91 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug in qfx/ofx processing introduced in 8.9.
8.9 - Compatibility and feature enhancements:
- Added support for a bank that does not implement the
ofx standard properly (producing debits as credits).
- Improved checking for new versions (via the Sparkle
- Added Check For Updates... item to QIF Master
8.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized the Edit Extract Formats function.
8.71 - Bug fix:
- Investments fees in QIF output are now output as a
8.7 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized the Edit Ouput Formats function.
8.6 - Feature enhancement:
- Modernized and documented the Edit Categories
8.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to export and import extract format
definitions with .qmef files.
8.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to edit list of securities.
8.3 - Feature enhancements:
- Added improved defaulting of preferences for
- Improved compatibility with PC financial programs.
8.2 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Added support for unusual OFX from a UK Bank.
- Clarified status message when processing a QIF file
that contains lists (e.g. secrurities, accounts, categories) but not
- Added warning when categories ending with a : are
8.1 - Compatibility enhancement:
8.0 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added support for importing QIF that contains both
accounts, categories, securities) and transactions, to better support
7.73 - Bug fix:
- Added ability to add splits to investment banking
- Added ability to specify splits in instructions.
- Add tabs to instruction dialogs to specify
instructions that match amounts.
- Made investment confirm dialog more similar to
banking/credit card confirm dialog.
- Added preference to leave blank banking/credit card
- Add button in registration dialog to retrieve a
purchased registration code.
- Checking for updates is now doing in the background.
- Improved help available in confirm and instruction
- Fixed several minor bug fixes related to splits.
7.72 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Restore extraction of certain cases of amounts with
currency symbols (broken in 7.72).
7.71 - Bug fixes:
- Added function under QIF Master menu to email the
- Added button to registration dialog to retrieve
previously-purchased registration code.
- Fixed problem with amount in extracted bank/cc
transaction being zero.
- Fix crash introduced in 7.7.
- Fix user interface glitch in splits entry.
7.7 - Feature enhancements:
- Added preference to specify the precision of amounts
in banking/credit card transactions.
- Changed "Investment" Preferences tab to "Precisions".
7.6 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- In banking/credit card confirm dialog, the memo is
now shown when adding or editing splits.
- In banking/credit card confirm dialog, any changed
values are now retained when adding or editing splits.
- Fixed bug in putting split memo into output.
- Fixed bug in editing the menu in instructions.
7.5 - Compatibility and documentation enhancements:
- Added the ability to extract investment transactions
from input where "Buy" or "Sell" must be determined by the sign of the
- Various documentation corrections/improvements.
7.4 - Feature and compatibility enhancements:
- Added tooltips to display long description and memo
fields in new instruction and confirm dialogs.
- Added a "Non-US" preference to have output QIF dates
contain dashes instead of slashes.
7.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Improved detection of type of input to be processed.
7.22 - Fixed bug in processing QIF splits.
7.21 - Fixed bug introduced in 7.2.
7.2 - Feature enhancement:
7.11 - Fixed bug introduced in 7.1.
- Added Output Preferences to allow for
customization of Description and Memo fields output in transactions.
7.1 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
7.0 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for extracted bank/CC transactions that
specify both a credit and a debit, ignoring the 0 one.
- Fixed bug in importing list of categories.
6.92 - Bug fixes:
- Added ability to have blank columns in csv or tabbed
- Added option to reformat date of csv or tabbed output.
- You can no longer create an output format that does
not match type of input being processed.
6.91 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Help now displays properly.
- Starts more gracefully when there is no network
connectivity to check for updates.
6.9 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for extracted date format
6.8 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added the ability to skip remaining transactions in
- Clarified part of define extract format dialogs.
6.7 - Bug fix:
- Added support for non-standard QIF from a New Zealand
6.6 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug in appending non-QIF output.
6.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Removed erroneous error message when creating the
second instruction for a description with an associated amount.
6.4 - Compatibility enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to change the sign of QIF amounts.
- Improved automatic adjustment of split amounts as
splits are edited.
- Fixed bug in CSV date processing.
- Fixed bug in display of non-US amounts in splits.
- Fixed bug in display of categories from input QIF in
6.32 - Bug fix:
- Added support for extracting amounts with USD in
front of them.
- Added support for extracting dates with format such
as 1-Nov with no year.
- Added support for two-digit year in more extracted
- Fixed bug in processing of mis-formed CSV.
6.31 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug in editing descriptions
6.3 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Fixed bug processing QIF inadvertently introduced in
6.2 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for QFX 2.02.
6.1 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for extracted amounts with + or - after
6.0 - Feature and documentation enhancements:
support for banking/credit card QIF transactions that have neither a
description nor a memo, by setting the description to "NO DESCRIPTION'.
5.94 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for extracting transactions from
semicolon-separated value (SSV) files.
- Updated and modernized look of help information.
- Updated registration mechanism to reflect Records
5.93 - Feedback clarification and bug fix:
- Improved support for QIF from Microsoft Money.
5.92 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Improved feedback presented after importing
categories and/or securities.
- Fixed bug in extracting check numbers from
in investment transactions.
5.91 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Added support for credit card QIF from Advanta
which uses an unusual QIF format.
5.9 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for yet another bank's unusual
5.8 - Enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the "Update category when description
dialog" preference under the Banking/Credit card tab to allow your
instructions to update the category in the confirm dialog box as you
change the description.
- Fixed user interface glitch in dialogs with
menus in which you can also type.
5.71 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Based on new user requests, changed trial
days to 100 transactions saved.
- Improved prompting in Control dialog.
- Updated documentation about which web browsers
supported (Omnipage now works).
- Fixed bug in adding splits.
- Miscellaneous minor bug fixes.
5.7 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for extracting from TIAA/CREF
- Fixed extracting investment transactions
5.62 - Fixed incorrect enabling of item in the "Edit" menu.
- Added support for non-US amounts (with , as
place) in QIF.
- Added support for QIF dates without a year.
- Added the ability to edit the list of
- Added "Investment" preferences to specify the
of investment amounts, prices, and shares.
includes all types of Quicken accounts (e.g. Cash) as transfers in
categories list. Re-import your accounts to get this feature.
5.61 - Fixed defining new formats, which was broken in 5.6.
5.6 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added preference to not add categories to
- Allowed for OFX/QFX with no description in a
- Updated registration mechanism to reflect
- Fixed bug in extracting investment transactions.
- Fixed bug with always skipping a transaction
5.51 - Fixed problem with new version checking.
5.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
5.4 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Add ability to add/remove splits from
(before you could just edit splits if they were present in the input).
- Added automatic checking for program updates.
- Added support for non-US characters in
- Fixed bug in use of account transfers
5.3 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Now a Universal Binary!
- Account transfers ([account]) can now be
- Improved error checking of category entries.
- Fixed bug in processing banking transactions
Feature enhancements and bug fix:
support for splits in QIF input. Split information will appear only in
- Added support for more variants of
- Added support for QIF with non-standard
- Improved support for extracted
investment banking transactions.
- Fixed bug in
handling extracted investment transactions.
- Fixed bug in extracting investment transactions.
support for yet another bank that produces invalid textual output.
support for another financial institution with unusual OFX.
a bug with continuation files for investment transactions.
Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
oft-requested ability to stop in the middle of processing transactions
and continue later. This is done by creating a "Continuation File" that
you open when you want to continue.
- The folder of
the last file opened is now remembered in open/save dialogs regardless
of how the file was opened.
- Added support for more
amount formats when extracting.
a new way to match extract formats with input text, enabled by the
preference Match Formats Using FIRST MATCH instead of LONGEST MATCH in
the Extracting tab of the Preferences.
Instruction dialog layout and default settings.
command-s keyboard shortcut to Swap Description and Memo buttons.
bug in "Edit Format" dialog.
- Fixed bug in defining
extract formats when an item is found after text in the first field of
- Fixed bug in creating new instructions
based on existing categories.
- Fixed errors in
4.99 - Feature
enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added a preference in the Banking/Credit Card
to cause instructions to be matched against descriptions with the
longest match. Thus, if you have an instruction for "Withdrawal" and
for "Withdrawal Franchise Tax", a description of "Withdrawal Franchise
Tax" would match the latter.
- Added the ability to
create a new instruction for a transaction to the Banking/Credit Card
- Changed instruction-related
functions in the Banking/Credit Card confirmation dialog from buttons
to a pull-down menu.
- Improved the tool tips in
the New Instruction dialog.
- The setting of the
input type ("QIF" versus "QIF (Swap Description and Memo)") in the
Control dialog is now saved between uses.
bug interpreting non-US amounts.
- Fixed bug
4.98 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for producing output with non-US
format dates and amounts. This is useful if you import the QIF Master
output into programs (other than Quicken) that require non-US dates
and/or amounts. This new feature is enabled in the new "Non-US" tab in
- Improved automatic detection of
non-US amounts in input.
4.97 - Feature enhancements and bug
- Descriptions entered are now remembered and can
be chosen from a menu, just like categories.
ability to delete specific remembered descriptions.
- Improved Documentation.
4.96 - Feature enhancements and bug
- Added support for investment QFX/OFX from
financial institutions that use an uncommon variant of QFX/OFX.
support for Reinvest, Transfer, Income, Return Of Capital, Margin
Interest, and Interest Expense QFX/OFX investment transactions.
4.95 - Updated QIF Master Legacy Data
Import companion application.
4.94 - Restored compatibility with MacOS 10.2.8
4.93 - Provided for more graceful recovery when
file is corrupted, e.g., by a system freeze.
4.92 - Feature enhancements, documentation
- Added the ability to invert the sign of amount
when extracting credit card information, as an option during format
- Improved support for extracting when
text starts with the first transaction.
non-functional "Clear" item from Edit menu.
link in csv help section to csv export documentation.
hover help for output format field in Control dialog.
4.91 - Improved support for banking
4.9 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added support for extracted transactions with a
single column for both credits and debits, with a credit specifier
(e.g. "CR") in a different column.
support for non-US currencies by removing all currency symbols from
- Improved user friendliness of
format definition process.
4.83 - Update and bug fix:
- -Updated Paypal purchase URL
Fixed bug that caused the "Save" button in the new instruction dialog
to be improperly dimmed
4.82 - Added support for TCF Bank, which
produces QIF with
an unusual format
4.81 - Fixed bug in processing QIF with check
all transactions are confirmed.
4.8 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Added support for non-QIF dates of the format
"Nov. 6, 2004".
- Fixed bugs in the swap
description and memo feature.
4.7 - This release includes the features
in Beta release 4.7B3,
in addition to the following:
- Reduced the size of the number field in the
- When you turn on the "Use
description" checkbox, the text field in which you enter the new
description will be defaulted to the existing one.
bug in processing of QIF with numbers that have leading blanks.
4.7B3 - Because of the extent of these
changes, I decided to
release this as a Beta release. Feedback welcome. Feature enhancements:
- Added "Back" button to go back one transaction
confirm and new instruction dialogs. This button appears only if you
are confirming all transactions.
- The confirmation
dialog for "Cancel" button presses can now be turned on or off in the
"Control" tab of the preferences.
- Added the
ability to disable the warning that a particular non-QIF/QFX/OFX
transaction cannot be processed. Currently, such a warning could occur
only with formats with one transaction per line, in these two cases: 1)
you are processing CSV and the CSV contains an item with an opening
quotation mark without a closing quotation mark; and 2) if an input
line does not contain a valid date. If you disable the warning that the
transaction must be skipped, such lines will be silently ignored. You
can turn the warning on or off by editing the format.
the preference that controls whether QFX/OFX transactions are always
confirmed: it used to be the "Allow me to confirm all extracted
transactions" preference under the "Extracting" tab of the preferences,
and is now the "Allow me to confirm all transactions" preference under
the "QIF/QFX/OFX Input" tab.
- Leading blanks on
numbers (e.g. check numbers) in QIF input are now removed.
preference was added to allow Banking/Credit Card numbers (e.g. check
number) longer than 5 characters to be removed, because some versions
of Quicken will truncate these. This preference appears in the
"Banking/Credit Card" tab. If you specify this preference, numbers
longer than 5 characters will still appear in the confirmation dialog,
but will be removed before QIF is output.
supports QFX with blanks at the beginning of the file (unusual for
4.61 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in bank/credit card format learning
when format has a single column for amount that causes amount not to be
- Clarified prompt in bank/credit card
format learning when format has a single column for amount.
extracting bug for certain formats with lines consisting of only
4.6 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to swap banking/credit card
description and memo on a per-transaction basis.
a confirmation dialog for "Cancel" button presses that result in all
processed transactions being discarded.
limited support for investment QFX/OFX. Only buy and sell transactions
are supported at this time. As far as I know, this new feature is the
only way to download TIAA-CREF transactions.
a crash involving swapping description and memo.
4.51 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed crash when a custom date range or "last
month's transactions" results in no transactions being processed.
rare crash extracting with certain text formats (introduced in Release
4.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added support for non-QIF/QFX/OFX input
containing a single amount column where the indication of whether the
transaction is a credit or a debit appears in a different column.
Usually, the amount column contains a minus sign to indicate a debit,
or there are separate columns for debits and credits. Now, support is
added for a column that specifies something like "Debit" or "Credit".
handling of CSV input: 1) blank lines now ignored; 2) leading
whitespace in each field ignored; 3) quotation marks around first field
4.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Added support for QIF/QFX/OFX input containing
dates in which the day appears before the month (e.g., dd-mm-yy). This
feature is turned on via a preference.
4.3 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added the ability to process QIF without
importing Quicken categories. This makes QIF Master useful for people
who use other applications such as iBank instead of Quicken.
a bug in the handling of non-QIF input dates of the format yyyymmdd.
4.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to edit extracted input for
investment transactions. This option, available through the investment
confirm dialog, is useful in rare instances when the input text does
not convey all transaction types consistently. As an example, at the
time of this writing, Schwab puts certain values like the number of
shares in the wrong column for certain transaction types only. When you
encounter such a transaction, you can edit the input to specify the
- Added the ability to override
the type of an individual extracted investment transaction.
an empty type to be defined for extracted investment transactions.
error checking for extracted investment transactions.
compatibility with some slightly non-standard QFX/OFX files.
the determination that input is QIF (as opposed to text to be extracted
- Fixed a bug whereby the "Redefine
Security" button in the investment confirm dialog disappeared
sometimes, and appears sometimes when it shouldn't.
4.1 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a preference to convert banking/credit
descriptions and memos that contain all capital letters to initial
caps. Thus, "CHECK PAID" would be changed to "Check Paid". The
preference is in the Banking/Credit Card tab.
support for non-QIF/QFX/OFX input containing dates in the format
- Changed the keyboard shortcut for
the Preferences to be the standard apple-comma.
4.0 - Feature enhancements:
- QFX or OFX format banking or credit card
transactions are now accepted as input, and are converted to QIF.
ability to redefine the type of an extracted investment transaction in
the case where fields required for the current type are missing.
minor corrections to the documentation.
- Note: Release 4.0 is the
beginning of support for QFX/OFX. I have limited sources of QFX/OFX to
test, so it is possible that not all bank's QFX/OFX will be properly
handled by this release. Therefore, I suggest that you turn on the
preference to confirm all transactions if you are using QFX/OFX until
you are satisfied it is being processed properly. If you have any
problems, please let me know. Also, this release does not support
Investment QFX/OFX because I have none to test. Although I know that
QFX is used for Quicken's Direct Connect feature, the QFX in that case
flows directly into Quicken, and cannot be processed by QIF Master. If
anybody out there has a source of Investment QFX/OFX, I would love to
take a look at it so I can start supporting it.
3.9 - User-requested features and bug
- Added support for non-QIF input containing
in the format yyyymmdd.
- Added support for non-QIF
input containing amounts with commas for decimal places and periods to
separate thousands, such as 4.000,34
- Fixed bug
whereby in rare circumstances all fields are not shown when defining an
3.8 - User-requested feature and bug
- Added the ability to swap description and memo
fields when processing QIF.
- Fixed blank popup
menus in Control dialog (broken in Release 3.7).
compatibility with 10.1 (broken in Release 3.7).
bug in production of csv output whose fields contained quotation marks.
- Fixed rounding error affecting extraction only.
3.7 - Compatibility enhancements,
feature enhancements and
- Added support for extracting from text where
first line of text contains a transaction.
guessing which format applies to input text, the longest match will be
- Improved compatibility with input text
copied from Internet Explorer.
- Fixed a bug in CSV
processing, whereby the end of a line could not contain a quotation
3.6 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a preference to force transactions not to
be marked as cleared.
- Added the ability to
specify, via the Control dialog, that a specified number be
applied to all applicable output transactions.
to ability to associate a specified memo with all instructions.
3.5 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Added support for non-QIF input containing
in which the day appears before the month (e.g., dd-mm-yy). Note that
even though QIF Master can now interpret dates with this format, dates
produced by QIF Master continue to be of the format mm/dd/yyyy.
support for non-QIF input containing dates of the form 28 November
- Added support for non-QIF input containing
amounts with the British Pound symbol (£).
support for input containing non-ASCII characters that sometimes appear
in non-US input (e.g., Norwegian).
- Added new 30
day trial period extension.
3.4 - Compatibility enhancement and bug
- Added support for Capital One credit cards,
produces QIF with an unusual format.
- Fixed an
obscure bug in defining formats for text with a great deal of
extraneous information after the last transaction.
3.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to extract QIF from text that
has multiple dates (e.g. trade date and settlement date or transaction
date and bond redemption date) per transaction, even if each
transaction does not appear on a single line in the text. To use this
feature, you would choose method 6 of finding fields when defining the
format for the text. This method was added specifically to handle
Fidelity Bond transactions when extracted from Mozilla.
3.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to extract QIF from text that
does not have a date starting each transaction, or has multiple dates
(e.g. trade date and settlement date) per transaction, as long as each
transaction appears on a single line in the text. This would be true
for CSV files, and perhaps for some web pages. This user-requested
features allows more brokerages, such as Vanguard, to be supported.
the Edit Extract Format dialog you can now select and delete multiple
formats at one time.
- In the Edit Output Format
dialog you can now select and delete multiple formats at one time.
the Edit Instructions dialog to allow choice of the instructions to
edit with a table, to be consistent with the Edit Output Formats and
Edit Extract Formats dialogs, including the ability to delete multiple
instructions at one time.
- When editing
instructions, you can now edit the string to be matched to use the
- Now recognizes the date format
yyyy-mm-dd when extracting QIF from text.
restriction that you cannot append QIF without a type to an existing
QIF file. The type will be deduced from the account you choose.
a bug with the date stepper added in release 3.0.
stability when processing text with the wrong extract format.
3.1 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to delete extract format type
definitions via the Edit Extract Formats dialog.
the ability to delete extract format security definitions via the Edit
Extract Formats dialog.
- Enabled use of up and
down arrow keys to select rows Edit Extract Formats, Delete Type
Definitions, Delete Security Definitions, and Edit Output Formats
3.0- This release includes the features
in Beta release 3.0B1,
in addition to the following:
- Added the ability to adjust the date used in an
output transaction via a control in the confirmation dialog.
compatibility when extracting QIF from banking/credit card websites
that have non-transaction information following the last transaction
- Moved the preference If
description is blank, treat memo as description to the Banking/Credit
Card tab, since it applies regardless of whether the input is
QIF or is extracted from text.
- Changed confirm
dialogs to show the date that will be used in the output if Use
same date for each transaction is specified in the Control
- Miscellaneous bug fixes of 3.0B1
3.0B1- This Beta release contains new
features and bug fixes:
- Release 2.0 added support for Quicken 2003
banking transactions appearing in investment account registers. This
support handled the way that Fidelity Investments produces investment
history, but did not fully support other brokerages such as Schwab.
This release, motivated by Schwab, allows more flexibility in
extracting transactions using these new transaction types.
the ability to produce output in comma or tab separated value files
instead of QIF. You can use this to extract transactions from a web
site and save as a CSV file to import into Excel.
the ability to specify a date to be applied to all output transactions.
- Reorganized preference dialog to be clearer.
a preference to specify that you are using Quicken 2003.
a preference to specify whether extracted transactions should be
- Added the ability to select formats to
edit by typing the first few characters of the format name.
support for extracting dates that contain blanks.
2.1 - Feature enhancements:
- When creating an instruction, if you shorten
description more than you intended, you can now type back the
characters you removed by mistake.
- When defining
a banking/credit card format, you can now specify (optionally) where
categories appear in the text.
- In conjunction
with the above change, if you specify in the preferences that
categories in the input should be used in the output, and you don't
specify in the preferences that you want to confirm all transactions,
and your input contains categories, then the input is processed
automatically without any confirmations or use of any instructions.
This mode is probably useful in several situations, but was designed to
accommodate CSV data that contains categories, to make it faster to
2.0 - This release includes the features
in Beta release 2.0B2,
in addition to the following:
- Added support for an additional QIF date
further reducing the occurrence of the corrupted QIF error message.
support for downloaded .asp files.
- Added a "Don't
Treat As QIF" button to the Control dialog, to address the rare
instance when QIF Master assumes a file is QIF when it is not.
the ability for an instruction for processing bank or credit card QIF
to specify that the description in the transaction should be changed to
a specified value.
- Miscellaneous improvements to
the Help documentation.
2.0B2- This Beta release includes
support for new Quicken 2003
features, feature enhancements, and bug fixes:
- Quicken 2003 allows banking transactions to
appear in investment account registers. These new transaction types
(Return of Capital, Sell Short, Cover Short, Margin Interest, ATM,
Point of Sale, Deposit, Withdrawal, Check) are now supported when
extracting QIF from text.
- Changed Cancel button
on Edit Formats dialog to "Done".
preference to mark unknown transactions as cleared.
error message stating that processing a QIF Investment file is not
- Added support for new QIF date
formats. This fixes the error message about corrupted QIF.
extracting from csv text with credits and debits in different columns.
preference for marking transactions as cleared.
1.7 - Bug fixes and improved error
- The "Skip All Transactions of this Type" button
in the investment confirm dialog now works properly.
card transactions extracted from text or CSV files are no longer
treated as investment transactions.\
error checking for bank and credit card transactions extracted from
text or CSV files.
- Fixed a bug in determining
when QIF Master is registered.
- Added line number
to error messages about corrupt QIF input.
1.6 - Compatibility enhancements based
on user requests:
- Supports QIF downloaded in ".jsp" files instead
of ".qif" files.
- Supports BankOne, which produces
QIF with an unusual format.
1.5 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a preference to match banking/credit card
descriptions with "contains" instead of the default "starts with". This
is useful for some QIF that has transaction numbers at the beginning of
each description. This preference is under the "Banking/Credit Card"
- Moved the "If description is
blank, treat memo as description" preference to the "Banking/Credit
Card" preference tab.
1.4 - User interface enhancements and
- Clarified prompts in banking/credit card
- Removed buttons for editing
instructions in banking/credit card transactions without a matching
instruction (such as a transaction without a description).
a bug that caused amounts to be output incorrectly in banking/credit
card transactions without descriptions.
1.3 - Feature enhancements and
- Accepts more non-standard QIF produced by some
- When specifying categories, typing ":" now
works as in Quicken, to autocomplete to the end of the category and
select the first subcategory.
- Fixed a bug that
caused extracted investment QIF without an account specified not to be
recognized by Quicken.
- In extracting investment
QIF, the meanings of transaction types and security names are now saved
on a per-format basis.
- The investment confirm
dialog was changed to allow the redefinition of a transaction type or a
- Several dialog usability enhancements.
1.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Improvements of how categories in banking and
credit card QIF are determined:
- Categories can
now be based on the categories on the input QIF, useful for some credit
- Categories present in the input QIF can
be automatically used as the categories in the output, useful for some
credit card QIF
Preferences dialog was reorganized to use tabs.
two-digits years on all date input: QIF, extracted text, and in Control
- Changed banking/credit card transaction
dialogs to refer to "Numbers" rather than "Check Numbers" , because in
a credit card file these could be reference numbers. Also left more
space in the dialogs for the longer numbers typical of reference
- Fixed the "corrupted QIF" error message
that caused valid QIF files not to be recognized as QIF.
dialog usability enhancements.
- Miscellaneous bug
1.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Supports empty transaction type in extract
definition to handle American Express Brokerage transaction history.
is not automatically processed when QIF Master is brought forward if
the clipboard has already been processed.
bug that caused prices not to be output in extracted QIF in some cases.
1.0 - Initial release.
Master is shareware. You can try it out for an unlimited amount of time
before you register it, but you are limited to saving 100 transactions
to an output file before registration. Even after your transactions are
exhausted, by turning on transaction confirmation, you can see how
types of input would be processed before registering. The
If you are a registered user of my companion
program, Records Master, you can purchase QIF Master for only $8 if you
run it on the same machine on which Records Master is running. This
price is not applicable to prior purchases of QIF Master.
You can also purchase a registration code for both QIF Master and
Records Master as a bundle for $32.
Registration includes future updates.
To purchase QIF Master click here,
or select Registration... under the QIF Master Menu,
click on the Purchase Registration Code
button. You will be taken to a web site where you can choose among the
above options, then to a payment web site where you
can pay by
credit card. Once you have paid, you will receive a registration code
via email. You can enter this code into QIF Master Registration...
QIF Master Copyright
© 2002-2015 John Woodward. All rights reserved.
You may distribute QIF Master unmodified via