Runs on 10.5+
Paste Master is an easy to use clipboard manager configured by a preference pane that allows you to save multiple clipboards and be able to paste them again later. It has the following advantages:
- Compact grid display allows you to see and select from many saved clipboards at once.
- Handles all types of clipboards.
- Clipboards produced by automatic typing utilities (like TextExpander, Butler, TypeIt4Me, Typinator, Keyboard Maestro, 1Password, etc.) are ignored.
- Recognition of special text types in clipboards allows convenient pasting or operation.
- You can quickly search the grid to find clipboards you want.
- You can edit text clipboards you have already saved.
- You can lock clipboards so they are not displaced by new ones.
- You can delete individual, unlocked, or ALL saved clipboards (for example if they contain sensitive data).
- You can paste multiple clipboards rapidly through three
- You can securely and easily fill in forms.
- Clipboards are also optionally available from an icon in the menu bar.
- Security features allow you to minimize sensitive data lying around in saved clipboards.
- You can maintain multiple sets of clipboards for different
purposes and with different security settings.
- You can quickly enter notes directly into clipboards for later use.
- You can encrypt your saved clipboard contents.
- You can use Dropbox to synchronize yout clipboard contents
across multiple machines.
Frequently Asked Questions
12.0 - Fixed bug in update mechanism.
11.9 - Bug fix:
- Changing the "Type text clipboards by default" setting in the "General Configuration" menu of the Grid or menu bar menu is now properly saved.
11.8 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added the ability to type text clipboards as unformatted text (instead of pasting) by default.
- Fixed a crash when installing into System Preferences on
11.7 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to type text clipboards as unformatted text (instead of pasting). Useful when a web page disables pasting in a field.
- Names and registration codes can now be entered with leading or trailing blanks.
- Improved debugging information prepared for "Email The Author".
- Improved syncing clipboards.
11.6 - Not released.
11.5 - Feature enhancements, bug fixes, and documentation
- Shortcuts now work when pasting from the grid by typing 1-9.
- Improved recovery when the file used to save the user's
preferences gets corrupted because of a disk error.
- Fixed a bug with the use of shortcuts with menu bar menu items.
- Fixed a bug when there is no shortcut for displaying the
menu for a grid item.
- Fixed a bug with the specification of maximum clipboard
size to save.
- Updated to the documentation to clarify that clipboards
can be rearranged by dragging in the grid only when all
clipboards are displayed.
11.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the option print a clipboard.
- Added a shortcut to print a clipboard.
- Clarified preference pane instructions.
11.2/11.3 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the option to use a more modern black icon in the
- Clarified preference pane instructions.
- Added more debugging info to the "Email The Author"
11.0 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to copy clipboards between sets.
- Relocated the "Email The Author" button in the preference
- Improved the debugging information provided by "Email The Author".
- Further improved compatibility with Mac OS 10.10 & 10.11+.
- Restored the ability to have clipboards not saved across
- Fixed a bug in hotkey specification.
- Fixed a bug in update mechanism.
10.0 - Major feature enhancement:
- Clipboard sets and clipboards can now be synchronized via Dropbox and shared across multiple computers.
- Clipboard sets and clipboards can now be encrypted when stored on disk.
- Improved compatibility with Mac OS 10.10 & 10.11+.
9.8 - Further refined the recognition of URLs in clipboards.
9.7 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added support for recognizing and going to more types of
- Fixed bug in use of shortcuts to delete URL clipboards.
9.6 - Fixed bug in 9.5 that effected the grid menu.
9.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to move clipboards between clipboard sets
- Fixed bug in grouping locked clipboards when switching clipboard sets.
- Fixed bug with editing clipboards.
9.4 - Feature update:
- Clipboards produced by additional automatic typing
utilities are now ignored (including 1Password).
9.3 - Feature update:
- Added option -- for the Create
Multiple Clipboards function -- to not eliminate
9.2 - Feature update:
- Improved handling of clipboards that contain Mail.app headers.
- Removed support for .pvr clipboard contents.
- Updates to improve compatibility with forthcoming Yosemite (Mac OS 10.10) release.
9.1 - Not released.
9.0 - Feature update:
- Added to ability to create multiple clipboards from
multi-item (multi-line or separated by tabs) clipboards for
easier pasting or dragging.
8.9 - Feature enhancement:
- Clipboards whose contents cannot be displayed as text or
an image are now denoted with the application that created
them, as <<ApplicationName Clipboard>>.
8.8 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added mode to have saved clipboards deleted after they are pasted.
- In drag mode, dragging a clipboard to the trash now deletes it.
- Bug fixes.
8.7 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Improved checking for updates with new Updates tab in Preference Pane.
- Moved the checkbox to automatically check for updates to
the new Updates tab.
- Fixed bug in entering notes.
8.6 - Reduced the amount of disk space used for saved clipboards.
8.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added hotkey to paste the current clipboard unformatted (if a text clipboard).
- Added help within the preference pane.
- Fixed bug with use of "Use Fewest Columns Possible".
- Fixed bug with "Paste as Tiny URL" not restoring the
actual clipboard after pasting.
- Fixed bug with "Paste as Tiny URL" not working when you have proxied internet access.
8.4 - Feature enhancement::
- Hotkeys are now specified in a different manner that allows function keys, arrow keys, etc. to be hotkeys.
- Updated the icon that appears in System Preferences for retina displays.
8.3 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added preference to display grid where the cursor is located.
- Added debugging info to email body when "Email the Author"
- Fixed bug occurring when all clipboards are locked and grouped at start.
- Eliminated even more clipboard duplication.
8.2 - Enhancements and bug fix:
- Improved performance when copying small images.
- Updated the menu bar icon for retina displays.
- Improved help available in the preference pane.
- Fixed bug causing duplication of some clipboards.
8.1 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed crash caused by other applications creating
mal-formed clipboards (these are now ignored).
- Restored yellow background to clipboard displayed by
hovering over them in the grid.
- Fixed other miscellaneous bugs.
8.0 - Feature update and bug fixes:
- Added "Drag Mode" to the grid, allowing clipboards to be: 1) rearranged in the grid by dragging them; and 2) dragged directly into specific locations in other applications to "paste" in that location.
- Corrected indication of current "Show only..." item in grid menu while in Paste Multiple or Drag modes.
- Fixed bug creating new clipboard sets.
- Fixed rare crash when reading large or corrupt clipboards.
- Fixed some memory leaks.
7.91 - Fixed bug occurring when all clipboards are locked.
7.9 - Feature updates and bug fix:
- Preference Pane reorganized to put all hotkeys in a single tab, replacing the "Append Copy" tab.
- Improved error checking in the Preference Pane.
- Each hotkey can now be individually enabled.
- Added hotkey to delete all unlocked clipboards in the current set.
- Fixed some memory leaks.
7.8 - Compatibility updates:
- Clipboards produced by automatic typing utilities (like TextExpander, Butler, TypeIt4Me, Typinator, Keyboard Maestro, etc.) are ignored.
- Text clipboards of 0 length are ignored (1Password does this to clear the clipboard).
7.71 - Fixed bug (in 7.7) occurring when clipboards are not
saved across restarts.
7.7 - Feature and documentation enhancements and bug fixes:
- Grid title is now name of clipboard set, or "Clipboards" if you have only one set.
- Application-specific preferences were improved.
- Optional help information that displays below grid now contains instructions on grid usage.
- A help screen is shown the first time Paste Master is run.
- Reorganized documentation and added table of contents.
- Fixed bugs in renaming sets.
7.6 - Feature enhancement:
- Improved grid search functionality.
7.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added "Check For Updates" button to preference pane.
7.4 - Feature and performance enhancements:
- Added ability to specify default text pasting (formatted or not) on a per-application basis.
- Improved support for very large clipboards (such as huge
- Improved performance (especially if saving clipboards between restarts).
7.3 - Compatibility enhancements:
- Improved Preference Pane user interaction on Lion (10.7).
- Fixed problem with Paste Master not running after restart
on Mountain Lion (10.8).
7.2 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added the ability switch among multiple clipboard sets by typing command-s when the grid is displayed.
- Fixed bug in editing clipboards when user has positioned
7.1 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to edit saved text clipboards.
7.0 - Feature enhancement:
- Added new security feature: the ability to specify, on a per-clipboard sets basis, that unlocked clipboards should be automatically deleted after some period of time or upon restart.
- Improved .plist bug workaround.
- Restored compatibility with Word 2004 clipboards.
- Fixed user interface glitch in the edit clipboard sets dialog.
6.9 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Reorganized preference pane for improved clarity.
- Worked around bug in Mac OS 10.6 that leaves zero-length
.plist files in Library/Preferences.
6.82 - Bug fix:
- Fixed crash experience by some users of Version 6.8.
6.8 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added support for clipboards that contain both image and
text representations (such as images from Safari web pages
and Finder items).
- Fixed a bug whereby images would not paste when "Paste text clipboards as unformatted by default" is checked.
- Support for 10.4 dropped as of this release.
6.7 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to enter notes directly into clipboards for later use.
6.61 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug in using menu bar menu introduced in 6.1.
6.6 - Feature enhancements:
- Grid menu and menu bar menu reorganized for compactness and consistency.
- Clipboard sets and general configuration items now available from the menu bar menu.
- Improved and corrected documentation.
6.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added option to paste URLs as a TinyURL if you are connected to the web when you paste.
- Added shortcut for pasting as a TinyURL.
- The option to go to a URL appears only if you are
connected to the web.
6.4 - Feature enhancements:
- The grid position in Paste Multiple mode, is now remembered independent of the grid position in normal mode.
- The grid in Paste Multiple mode can now be displayed using the fewest number of columns possible, with the clipboards being filled in vertically rather than horizontally.
- Added warning about deleting saved clipboards if you turn
off saving across restart.
6.3 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Grid item backgrounds now track cursor over grid--the item you are pointing at turns light blue.
- Improved search function--you must now hit return in the search field.
- Fixed bug in pasteboard changes not being saved across
restarts in rare cases.
6.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Added support for recognition of URLs in clipboards and the ability to go a URL in your default browser via the grid or the menu bar.
6.1 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in registration system with names containing Latin characters.
- Fixed misspelling in grid shortcut help.
6.0 - Feature enhancement:
- Added support for multiple, named, sets of clipboards (see
the grid menu).
5.6 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Many configuration settings from Preference Pane were duplicated in the grid menu for more convenient access.
- Fixed bugs in paste modifiers and grid help information.
5.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to specify a shortcut for Paste As Address.
5.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Improved help about click modifiers (shortcuts) at the
bottom of the grid.
5.3 - Feature enhancements:
- Added option (via the grid menu) to display help about click modifiers (shortcuts) below the clipboards in the grid.
- Added "Lock Grid" to the "Paste Multiple" item in the grid
menu to clarify its purpose.
5.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Added option to not save clipboards over a specified size.
5.1 - Feature enhancement:
- Added option to group locked items at the beginning of the
grid and menu bar menu.
5.0 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for recognition of addresses in clipboards and special pasting of addresses into form fields.
- Added ability to specify one of four clipboard sizes in the menu bar menu.
- The paste text clipboards unformatted by default option
now applies to clipboards pasted with the paste
4.91 - Bug fix:
- Restored "Paste As Is" function when text clipboards are pasted unformatted by default.
4.9 - Feature enhancement:
- Added preference to specify that text clipboards should be pasted unformatted by default.
4.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Added preference to allow you to specify that only locked
clipboards should be saved across restarts.
4.7 - Feature enhancements:
- Added option to specify a hotkey to copy the selected text and append it to the current clipboard.
- If you have asked that clipboards be saved, they are now
saved every hour in case your system hangs.
4.6 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added ability (via grid menu) to choose among four grid sizes.
- Grid position is saved across restart if "Allow me to position grid the grid" is selected.
- Fixed bug in saving grid position when grid is displayed from the menu bar menu.
- Fixed bug with pasting last-in-first-out.
4.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added preference to allow you to determine where the grid
is positioned when displayed.
4.4 - Feature enhancement and documentation updated:
- Made menu bar icon highlight when clicked.
- Updated "Clipboard Grid" tab to reflect correct contextual
4.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Simplified grid contextual menu and menu bar menus by
4.2 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed crash with small number of clipboards in multiple-paste mode.
- Fixed display glitch when deleting unlocked clipboards.
4.1 - Fixed rarely-occurring glitch in pasting fields
4.0 - Feature enhancements and typo fix:
- Added new pulldown menu in the clipboard grid that allows pasting, deleting, and unlocking multiple clipboards.
- Added ability to paste multiple saved clipboards in a last-in-first-out order using a new hotkey specified in the Preference Pane.
- Removed deleting and unlocking multiple clipboard options from the contextual menus of each clipboard in the grid.
- Added the option to unlock all clipboards to the menu bar icon.
- Reorganized Preference Pane configuration panel to add the new hotkey.
- Fixed typo in Preference Pane shortcuts panel.
3.8 - Feature enhancements:
- Added ability to specify the maximum number of clipboards that should be displayed in the menu.
- Reorganized Preference Pane.
3.7 - Feature enhancement and documentation update:
- Added option to display menu bar icon as grayscale.
- Fixed typo in Preference Pane documentation.
3.6 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added button to Register tab to retrieve previously-purchased registration code.
- Fixed bug with reducing the number of saved clipboards
below the current number saved.
3.5 - Feature enhancements:
- Added ability to specify keys that appear twice on keyboard (such as 0-9) as the hotkey and have both keys function as the hotkey.
- Added button in Preference Pane to email the author.
3.4 - Updates:
- Updated look of the clipboard grid, using solid gray lines
instead of dotted lines.
- Improved hover help for grids items.
3.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to paste recognized fields together (e.g.,
345FD-89 as 345FD89).
3.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Added "Exclusions" tab to preference pane to allow you to
specify applications whose clipboards should not be saved.
3.1 - Feature enhancements and typo fix:
- Broadened specification of what is recognized as a number to accommodate non-US phone number formats.
- Improved performance.
- Fixed typo in Preference Pane.
3.0 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added search field to clipboards grid.
- Fixed problem with pasting clipboards from Microsoft
Office and other applications that produce clipboards in
2.91 - Fixed bug in menu on 10.3 systems.
2.9 - Feature enhancements:
- Added "Delete Unlocked Clipboards" to menu.
- Improved performance for large clipboard sets.
2.81 - Fixed obscure bug in setting hot key.
2.8 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for Dvorak keyboard layout.
- Added shift modifier as an option for the hotkey.
- Added option to confirm deletions of all clipboard or unlocked clipboards to prevent accidental deletion.
- Reorganized Configure tab of Preference Pane.
2.7 - Feature enhancement:
- Changed Shortcuts tab to allow custom
specification of modifier keys for all functions that can be
specified via the clipboard grid or menu.
2.6 - Feature enhancement:
- Added preference to keep all locked clipboards grouped at the end of the grid and menu.
2.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- More of a text item is now shown when you hover the mouse over them item in the grid.
- Image items are now shown larger (if possible) when you hover the mouse over the item in the grid.
- Images in the grid are now scaled down to fit in 10.6.
- Many memory leaks fixed.
2.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Added a warning in the preference pane that configuration changes take effect when Paste Master is re-enabled or System Preferences is quit.
- Improved support for non-standard clipboard types.
2.3 - Corrupted release.
2.2 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the option to display an icon in the menu bar to allow for Paste Master control and pasting, as an alternative to the grid view.
- The escape key now dismisses the clipboards grid.
- Right-clicking a clipboard in the grid now displays the menu, like a control-click.
- Fixed bug in entering registration code.
2.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the option to display all text in clipboard grid unformatted.
- Clipboard grid width is now limited by main screen width.
- Empty grid cells now have a darker background to visually
- Worked around buggy clipboard produced by Mail.
- Fixed bug in clipboard type display and empty grid cell display.
- Fixed bug in shrinking some image clipboards to fit in grid cell.
2.0 - Feature and compatibility enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability save clipboards across restarts.
- Added the ability to lock individual clipboards so they are not discarded as new items are placed in the clipboard (and the ability to unlock).
- Added the option to paste text without its formatting.
- Added the option to automatically check for updates.
- Clipboards now displayed in the grid as formatted text.
- Added hover help to the Configure tab of the preference pane.
- Limited the display of clipboard items hovered over to 1000 characters.
- Reorganized the help information in the preference pane.
- Preference pane now loads as 64 bit on 10.6--no annoying relaunch of System Preferences (10.4+ version only).
- Fixed bug when "Moved pasted clipboards to position 1" is unchecked.
1.1 - Feature and compatibility enhancements:
- Added the ability to delete individual or ALL saved clipboards.
- Reformatted preference pane for improved display on 10.4.
- Added support for 10.3.
1.0 - Initial release.
Paste Master Copyright © 2009-2018 John Woodward. All rights reserved.