CAPS Warn is designed for
people who type
with one hand using Sticky Keys, or for anyone who presses the Caps
Lock key frequently by mistake.
is a Preference
Pane that provides: A) on-screen indications of when the Caps Lock,
Shift, Function (Fn), Control, Option, or Command keys are pressed (or
stuck on by Sticky Keys) or B) warnings that: 1) you have
on the CAPS Lock and/or 2) you have typed a
number (default 5) of keys with the SHIFT key (or Sticky Keys SHIFT) or
CAPS Lock and/or you have turned on the Num Lock. CAPS Warn warns you
regardless of what application you are typing into.
The CAPS Warn preference
pane appears above with the default settings shown.
If you show the icon in the menu bar, selecting the icon
displays a menu that allows you to open the preference pane.
The Volume Control is enabled only in 10.5+, and only if
you choose a sound other than the system alert sound (the volume for
the system alert sound is specified in the Sound system preference).
The Exclusion Options button allows you
to specify what CAPS Warn should exclude when counting multiple
caps typed, as shown at the right.
Enabling CAPS Warn via
Preference Pane will automatically disable any previous version
of CAPS Warn.
Warn to be able to warn you about multiple shifted key
presses, you must
turn on "Enable access for assistive devices" in the Universal Access
System Preference panel (as shown below), and then
enable CAPS Warn.
CAPS Warn is a MacOS X
on 10.4+, including with Lion (10.7). Universal binary.
5.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Added option to limit the number of times you are
warned about typing too many caps in a row.
5.2 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in exclusion list processing.
- Fixed bug in registration system with names
containing Latin characters.
5.1 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Menu bar icon now highlights when selected.
- Fixed crash causing CAPS Warn to disable itself.
5.0 - Feature enhancement:
- Added Growl notification for NUM Lock Off.
4.9 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Now warns about each new version only once.
- Fixed file corruption in 4.8 experienced by some
4.8 - Feature enhancements:
- Added button to Configure tab to email the author.
- Added button to Register tab to retrieve
previously-purchased registration code.
4.7 - Feature enhancement:
- The menu bar icon now allows you to open the
4.6 - Feature enhancement:
- Added Growl notification for Caps Lock Off.
4.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added option to ignore SHIFT when counting caps
(counting only caps with Caps Lock).
- Fixed bug in entering words to exclude.
4.41 - Fixed crash introduced in 4.4.
4.4 - Feature enhancement:
- Added option to exclude certain characters or words
when counting caps.
4.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Added volume control for sound notification. (Works
in 10.5+ only).
4.2 - Fixed problem upgrading to 4.1.
4.1 - Fixed bug configuring if already enabled.
4.0 - Compatibility and feature enhancements:
- Now works with 10.5+. Compiled as a 64-bit
Preference Pane for 10.6.
- Added automatic checking for updates.
- Now handles display size changes.
3.1 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Made indicators in upper left corner larger and
- Restored original color scheme in upper left
- Fixed that sometimes CAPS Warn turned off when
- Other bug fixes.
3.0 - User requested feature enhancements:
- Added Growl notifications (if Growl is
- Added ability to separately request display of
and Shift in menu bar and upper left-hand corner.
- Improved look of upper left-hand corner.
- Separated display of Fn from Ctrl in upper
- New icon for preference pane and menu bar,
thanks to Elke
2.2 - Feature enhancements:
2.1 - Fixed that "Warn me after typing..." works even when turned off.
- Added option to warn when Num Lock is turned on.
- Added the fn key on laptops to the
indicator for the ctrl key.
2.0 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Rewritten from scratch as a Preference Pane.
- Icon in menu bar is now optional (in case you
have no room
in your menu bar), and is no longer a menu.
state of the Shift/Caps Lock, Control, Option, and Command keys can now
optionally be displayed in the upper left-hand corner of the screen
(using space that is otherwise not used).
- Added a new built-in sound--CAPS.
- Fixed bug whereby command-option-d to show/hide
did not work.
1.3 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Added a preference to specify the sound to play
warning...it no longer must be the system sound.
- Depressing the shift key now fills in the menu
- Fixed the "Warn after typing..." preference,
not turn off in 1.2.
1.2 - Bug fix and enhancement:
- Fixed crash when changing "Start Automatically"
- Improved menu icon.
1.1 - Feature enhancements:
1.0 - Initial release.
- Made CAPS Warn run as an
icon in the
menu bar rather than in the dock.
- Added a preference to start CAPS Warn
automatically when you startup or login.
- Added a preference to warn by flashing the
- Made CAPS Warn
easier to setup by adding a button to the preferences to take you to
the "Universal Access" preference panel so you can turn on "Enable
access for assistive devices".
Purchasing CAPS Warn
CAPS Warn is shareware. You can try it out for
but if you still use it thereafter, you must register it. The
price is nominal--$6. After 30 days, CAPS Warn
will not work unless you have registered it.
purchase CAPS Warn, click here,
or click the Purchase Registration Code button in
tab of the Preference Pane. Once you have paid, you will
a registration code via email. You can enter this code in CAPS
Warn Register tab.
If you do not get your registration code via email in a
timely manner it may be that it was eaten by an overly aggressive spam
filter. In that case, click on the Retrieve Purchased Code button in
the Register tab or click here and enter
your PayPal purchase information to retrieve the code.
CAPS Warn Copyright
© 2006-2012 John Woodward. All rights reserved.
You may distribute CAPS Warn unmodified via any